Author Topic: Portrush Airshow return in 2022  (Read 9923 times)

Offline Jimi182

• Military Movements Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Tornado
Re: Portrush Airshow return in 2022
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2022, 04:06:49 PM »
Probably won't know until the day if going by past shows. Though we may find out via displays themselves what time they will display and I am sure the Reds NOTAMs nearer the time will show that.

Though, to have display times, we need displays and with only just over a month to go, the only confirmed displays are the Reds, BBMF and Typhoon.

Very slow on news this year, past build ups started many months before the show.

The websites are as they were when they were launched.  Funny feeling the council are on holiday leave, and it will be a mad rush to get the website and any social media issued just before the airshow. 

Also, being the first year I'll have a kiddo in school, it's annoying the date of the airshow is also the first/second week of back to school - a mad rush up on the Friday afternoon and then driving back down on the Sunday evening!

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
  • Favourite Aircraft: Avro Lancaster
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS 700D & EOS 2000D
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2022, 07:04:19 PM »

The websites are as they were when they were launched.  Funny feeling the council are on holiday leave, and it will be a mad rush to get the website and any social media issued just before the airshow. 

I did enquire about the contract to run the social media and the website, as I have the experience in running the Newcastle one. But it had already been awarded to triovia, this was back in January.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:04:52 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline TCX49

• G8 Contact Group
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: Belfast International Airport
  • Favourite Aircraft: A350, A400m, C-130, C-17, EuroFighter, F-35
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2022, 01:10:45 PM »
Me109 (Buchon) & Hawker Fury also confirmed by Portrush Airshow

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2022, 02:26:54 PM »
Re viewing locations just noticed this on the europeanairshows.co.uk site:

'The Council ground programme will focus around 7 dedicated viewing locations, where the ‘hubs’ of entertainment and programming will be based:

• Portrush Ampitheatre / Kerr Street Green (Animation Hub). • Black Hill - Viewing Area. • Ballyreagh Main Event Site -No.2. • Juniper Hill - Event Space and Viewing Area. • Rinagree - Event Space and Viewing Area. • The Pitt’s - Main Event Site No.1. • Portstewart - The Crescent Entertainment Hub.'

I don't want to be negative anymore!  There's too much of that these days....

But c'mon - 7 dedicated viewing areas?  That's a stretch for businesses etc trying to decide what site they'd like to trade from, and, everyone will want to be at the main site anyway!

Jimi182
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 02:29:09 PM by Jimi182 »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2022, 04:09:26 PM »
The Hawker Fury and Me109 are lovely additions and hopefully the Lancaster can make it over. But it seems the same old-same old despite the early promises. Hopefully something big can be announced, Historic Helicopters would be brilliant. A lot of their Helicopters have historical significance in NI.

Lost out on a lot of displays due to the dates. Should have been the first weekend in September as they are up against Duxford, Paris Legends, Abingdon and Sanicole with this years dates.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 04:49:01 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2022, 02:34:37 PM »
BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane will now be both days of the show according to the website.

https://airshowni.com/display-schedule-2022/

I'm am getting questions by the bucketload on AirshowsNI FB page right now about the show, showground layout, parking, facalities etc. So have put together a list of most popular questions and emailed the council hoping for clarification.

I did make a point of saying I won't ask about individual aircraft though.

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2022, 02:53:39 PM »
BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane will now be both days of the show according to the website.

https://airshowni.com/display-schedule-2022/

I'm am getting questions by the bucketload on AirshowsNI FB page right now about the show, showground layout, parking, facalities etc. So have put together a list of most popular questions and emailed the council hoping for clarification.

I did make a point of saying I won't ask about individual aircraft though.

Thanks for putting those questions to the council!  They're the sort of thing they should have already had up on their page.  Some folk will put off attending if they don't know the best spots to be etc.

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2022, 02:56:55 PM »
Though... the line-up does look like light and I'm sorry to say, poor  ::)

Still not sure why the Red Arrows can't do both days.  They only thing they have planned for Sunday is the Great North Run flypast...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:59:12 PM by Jimi182 »

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: NIKON D7200
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2022, 03:26:10 PM »

Still not sure why the Red Arrows can't do both days.  They only thing they have planned for Sunday is the Great North Run flypast...

I recall watching footage of the Great North Run, think it was last year, the Reds flew over the Tyne Bridge at the start of the race, but also later did a full display over the sea near the finish line.
Perhaps they are doing that again?
To be brutally honest the Reds are not the be all and end all of displays, it would be nice to have something else for a change, not all will agree, just my tuppence worth.
Something big like an E3-Sentry before the RAF finally pulls the plug on them, or even the A400M. I emailed Historic Helicopters but they did not reply. (Rude)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 03:31:42 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2022, 03:28:11 PM »

I recall watching footage of the Great North Run, think it was last year, the Reds flew over the Tyne Bridge at the start of the race, but also later did a full display over the sea near the finishline.
Perhaps they are doing that again?
To be brutally honest the Reds are not the be all and end all of displays, it would be nice to something else for a change, not all will agree, just my tuppence worth.

I know what you mean - it's just good to have them both days, if possible, so if Sat weather is bad, you might get a better day on the Sunday.

It would have been good if they could have booked even some flypasts from an RAF F-35 or something like that.  Give folk something totally new!

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2022, 05:01:15 PM »
They have updated the FAQs today in regards to parking, disabled parking, road closures and other things relevant to the show

https://airshowni.com/faqs/

Looks to be a 6 hour display - 11am to 5pm.

Though given the current line up, they need a good lot more to make that time up.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 05:13:28 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2022, 10:53:58 PM »
They have updated the FAQs today in regards to parking, disabled parking, road closures and other things relevant to the show

Though given the current line up, they need a good lot more to make that time up.

They'll have tye display items well spaced out at this rate! Or they'll send the autogyro up multiple times lol

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2022, 01:38:03 AM »

They'll have tye display items well spaced out at this rate! Or they'll send the autogyro up multiple times lol

I know you're joking, but they have before. The Autogyro has been known to do a display, then go back up later for a 'photoshoot' of the crowdline.

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2022, 02:15:17 AM »

I know you're joking, but they have before. The Autogyro has been known to do a display, then go back up later for a 'photoshoot' of the crowdline.

Yep, that's what I was referring too  ;D

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2022, 08:49:50 PM »
At this point I am seriously considering going to Duxford for their show on the same weekend. Incredible line up with 20 Spitfires.

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2022, 10:33:24 PM »
At this point I am seriously considering going to Duxford for their show on the same weekend. Incredible line up with 20 Spitfires.

That sounds like a proper show.  I get that NI couldn't have 20 Spitfires, but the line up so far...grrrr

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »
I spent last night on a website that lists every display team/solo display that displays in the UK and Europe, with links to their website & schedule.

I went through every team/display listed, and depressingly, outside the already known displays, none had NI International Airshow on their schedule.

I am slightly worried we will end up getting (and absolutely no disrespect to them) the likes of the 'Flying Dentist', Make a Wish Cap232, The Spotted Cow RV7 and the Christen Eagle which are all based down South.

I am hoping at least the Wingwalkers and Strikemasters get added, but as we get closer to the show, and very few displays having a listing for the show, I am worried it will actually be a step down from the last last few shows in 2018/2019 despite the early promoses of a revamped and better than ever show.

How about that Mini P51 based over here? 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:22:46 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2022, 10:28:14 PM »
I spent last night on a website that lists every display team/solo display that displays in the UK and Europe, with links to their website & schedule.

I went through every team/display listed, and depressingly, outside the already known displays, none had NI International Airshow on their schedule.

I am slightly worried we will end up getting (and absolutely no disrespect to them) the likes of the 'Flying Dentist', Make a Wish Cap232, The Spotted Cow RV7 and the Christen Eagle which are all based down South.

I am hoping at least the Wingwalkers and Strikemasters get added, but as we get closer to the show, and very few displays having a listing for the show, I am worried it will actually be a step down from the last last few shows in 2018/2019 despite the early promoses of a revamped and better than ever show.

How about that Mini P51 based over here?

I am not surprised, unfortunately.  The organisers don't have a clue and are probably more concerned with hot dog stands than they are display aircraft.

Really disappointing, given as you say, the early promises of a brilliant show. Brilliant to the organisers must be securing the Red Arrows and Typhoon.

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2022, 10:57:35 PM »
That's the thing, to the casual day tripper (sorry to say it that way) all a show needs is the Red Arrows or Typhoon, and more and more shows are seeing it that way. Shows have moved towards a family friendly style fair and away from those who have a heavy interest in avaition like ourselves.

It does annoy me when I hear people say 'I'm going to the Red Arrows' or 'Are the Red Arrows on this year?' when the likes of Newcastle or Portrush are on as if thats all that matters lol.

If I win big in the lottery, maybe I should fund specific displays for Newcastle lol. 

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2022, 09:56:17 AM »
That's the thing, to the casual day tripper (sorry to say it that way) all a show needs is the Red Arrows or Typhoon, and more and more shows are seeing it that way. Shows have moved towards a family friendly style fair and away from those who have a heavy interest in avaition like ourselves.

It does annoy me when I hear people say 'I'm going to the Red Arrows' or 'Are the Red Arrows on this year?' when the likes of Newcastle or Portrush are on as if thats all that matters lol.

If I win big in the lottery, maybe I should fund specific displays for Newcastle lol.

I know some folk have suggested charging folk for a display, but I think that would only be fair if the airshow was at an airfield - so people can get up close to a static display etc and see planes take off and land after displaying.  Given Ards can't hold them anymore due to CAA restrictions, that really only leaves BFS - but it's too busy these days with all the easyJet flights ::) - I do recall my dad mentioning airshows at BFS back in the day - they sounded great, especially with some nice RAF visitors due to RAF Aldergrove, at the time.

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2022, 06:47:41 PM »
There are a few Vampires, Jet Provosts and Strikemasters still in the UK  which could all add well to the show.

I am struggling to see where these international displays (references since removed) and high impact fast jets will come from that were promised early on. I am struggling to see how this is bigger and better than ever before. Reds and Typhoon the high impact jets?

"The Air Show is a firm family favourite and this year we want to ensure it's bigger and better than ever before with a packed programme of aerial displays and a whole host of family-friendly entertainment on the ground."

“We have already secured a show-stopping line-up of world-famous aviation attractions with further displays of renowned aerobatic teams and fast jets to be announced over the coming months.

I was only a kid when Aldergrove had their shows and they were great.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:25:35 PM by jasT1981 »