Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newcastle Festival of Flight 2018 - 11th & 12th August  (Read 634 times)

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • Airshows NI
  • Camera Used: Sony DSC-H400
Newcastle Festival of Flight 2018 - 11th & 12th August
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
A document on NMD council website appeared today detailing plans for Newcastle 2018 which will go before the council on Monday.

The event will be a 2 day airshow.

The budget is more than doubled, including Chamber of Commerce grant & Kilkeel Aircraft factory. It will have a budget 180k and council are still looking more sponsors.

The popular Festival of Flight will expand to a two-day event and will attract more Corporate guests and sponsors. Budget requirement: 63k budget increase (from 77k total council budget in 2017/18 to 140k total council budget in 2018/19)

Breakdown of Sponsorship add-ons taking the total so far to 180k are detailed on page 14. It looks like it still has to be approved but it looks like the council are moving in the right direction.

http://www.newrymournedown.org/media/uploads/Enterprise_Regeneration_and_Tourism_Committee_Agenda_13-11-2017.pdf.pdf
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:09:04 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline vanandjuanunited

• Military Movements Group
  • Flying Officer
  • Local Airport: belfast city
  • Favourite Aircraft: p38/f4u
  • Camera Used: Nikon d5200 Tamron 70-300 VC Sigma 150-500os
Re: Newcastle Festival of Flight 2018 - 11th & 12th August
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:24:06 AM »
Interesting news. However I would have preferred a better/improved one day show. In my opinion it has become repetitive and lost its interest to me. It's no longer a must attend but merely if it's got something I really want to see then I will go. I didn't attend last year as there was no real big attraction. Bar the Chinook it's the usual recycled acts or slight variations.
Problem being I'm not the audience that the organisers are trying to attract to the area. I'm there purely for the show.
Don't get me wrong I appreciate the efforts of the organisers and I would miss it if it wasn't held but I feel it needs a refresh (as does Portrush).

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »
I don't think many shows are put together with the likes of us in mind. The last two proper 'enthusiast' shows would probably have been Newcastle 2014 and Portrush 2015. They are more put together as a festival than an airshow.

Moving to two day (if it is approved) is a good step. Newcastle has fallen behind Bray and Portrush. The question now is, is there going to be a change in displays? I have enjoyed Newcastle over the last few years, but barring one or two displays they are the same every year. Now, will it be the same displays again, just this time over two days, or will they make a move to shake things up?

I really enjoy Team Raven, especially since they moved to a 6 ship display. But there is only so many times you can see them before you want something different. I know Duffer had said they were looking into an international display for 2018. Hopefully that happens.

With the return of the Hunters to the skies, and pilots planning 2018 displays in them, I do hope we get one over. We've not had a Hunter display since Mid Air Squadron in 2014. And it will go a long way to pleasing those who say the show lacks jets.

I wonder if the date change could be to bring it back in line with Blackpool, it shared many aircraft with the Blackpool show until they moved their dates. Could save a lot by using aircraft based out of there.

My wishlist for 2018, I would like to see a good few of these.

BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane
RAF Tornado flypast (Yes the option is there for one)
Red Arrows
RAF Tucano display ( Rumored 2018 return)
Sally B
Hawker Hunter
Strikemaster pairs display or Jet Provost Display team
Gnat display
Blenheim
Catalina
Irish Air Corps.

If the International display is true, Frecce Tricolori or Patrouille Swiss

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:45:57 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
Dates confirmed by the council and will be officially announced tomorrow morning. Show is confirmed to move to 2 days.

Offline Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 07:14:37 AM »
Haven't had a lineup worthy of a single afternoon in years and now they want to spread it over two?

Unless they pull in something exceptional, I'll pass.
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 04:16:15 PM »
There are plans for grandstand seating and a  techno village

http://www.thedownrecorder.co.uk/pages/index.asp?title=Festival_of_Flight_airshow_to_be_extended_to_two_days

Haven't had a lineup worthy of a single afternoon in years and now they want to spread it over two?

Unless they pull in something exceptional, I'll pass.

A 2nd day has been on the cards since planning started after the show in 2014, I'm just glad they didn't resurrect their 2015 idea of moving day 2 to Warrenpoint.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:54:09 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »
The only reason I bother with Bray is that they invariably have at least "nerd pleaser" on the bill.

If Newcastle can do the same I'd be four square behind them, I have my doubts but would love to be proved wrong.
The Norwegian Starfighter would probably be top of my wish list.
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:34:42 PM »
The Starfighter had another successful flight on Friday. It would be great to get it over. I am worried however how the CAA would react to that.