Author Topic: Portrush Airshow return in 2022  (Read 8039 times)

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
  • Favourite Aircraft: Avro Lancaster
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS 700D & EOS 2000D
Re: Portrush Airshow return in 2022
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2022, 11:40:53 PM »
Another issue (which I think will be changed soon) is the absolute lack of social media presence. Even the media launch was very quiet.

4 months to go and its a social media deadzone. I had spoken to the council a while ago with a view of running, or at least helping with their social media for the show but was told the tender had already been handed to a marketing firm. I did ask the council FB page recently if there was going to be a facebook page for the event or if the Airwaves Page would be reactived and renamed. I was told there are no updates on that issue.

I know it was a bit of a longshot and probably a bit cheeky for me to reach out to see if they needed someone to run their social media, but if you don't try, you don't get lol.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:41:54 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Ed Winchester

• Wing Commander
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2022, 08:31:29 AM »
Problem with Portrush is that is too far North and not enough other airshows going on around it.
For example. When I was doing stuff with Newtownards Richard Goode in his Extra did Blackpool , IOM, Newtownards and the Dublin Bay airshow on one tank of fuel. Then he came back to ARDS and got a free top up of fuel and a few checks and off to Scotland for more shows. The Silver swallows displayed the same year and did Dublin ARDS IOM.
Two day show at Portrush is a big chunk of display time and other than Derry or Aldergrove there are not much options to land and unlike the old days landing fees and fuel are paid for in full.
Best option would be Bangor sea front with an airshow in partnership with BFS BHD and Newtownards. Sponsored by Belfast, north down and ARDS councils. One day event for flying and other day for the Boat festival. But it would never happen.

Offline Jimi182

• Military Movements Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Tornado
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2022, 08:34:35 AM »
Problem with Portrush is that is too far North and not enough other airshows going on around it.
For example. When I was doing stuff with Newtownards Richard Goode in his Extra did Blackpool , IOM, Newtownards and the Dublin Bay airshow on one tank of fuel. Then he came back to ARDS and got a free top up of fuel and a few checks and off to Scotland for more shows. The Silver swallows displayed the same year and did Dublin ARDS IOM.
Two day show at Portrush is a big chunk of display time and other than Derry or Aldergrove there are not much options to land and unlike the old days landing fees and fuel are paid for in full.
Best option would be Bangor sea front with an airshow in partnership with BFS BHD and Newtownards. Sponsored by Belfast, north down and ARDS councils. One day event for flying and other day for the Boat festival. But it would never happen.

As good as that sounds, it might be too busy with civilian traffic in and out of BHD most of the day, making airspace tight. I do recall in the early 2000s I think, there was. Red Arrows display at Bangor seafront for VE day.  It was good.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: NIKON D7200
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
I agree Portrush is too far north, and I think they should seriously consider changing the date of the show to perhaps early August.
In fact maybe have a big show early August, and a smaller show early September, one day each or half day each.
With Portrush being towards the end of the airshow season, some display operators see it as a bit of a faff with an additional stop for fuel etc

With a big August show the organisers could maybe get more aircraft, and especially jets that have not displayed at Portrush before, and then a smaller show for early September which could be mainly prop aircraft. Bad weather in September seems to be a big problem as well, not just on the show days, but also for aircraft trying to get to the venue.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:31:14 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2022, 04:36:46 PM »
Going from memory, the reason that was given that Portrush is held in September is that it gives the businesses in the area the end of summer boost that will help them through into the new year when things in the town start to pick up again.

That was said a good few years back though, around 2016/17.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: NIKON D7200
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2022, 04:46:15 PM »
Yes, that`s my understanding of it as well, so if they did have a main show in early August, and then a smaller show in early September, that would give them a double boost.
It would also reduce the chance of both days being weather disrupted or scrubbed altogether. Just my tuppence worth.  :)

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2022, 08:07:31 PM »
And now no Rich Goodwin, who will be at Sanicole that weekend. :(

Offline Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2022, 09:27:57 PM »
Without a major coup, in the form of some non RAF FJs, the only 'acts' I can see attracting me come from the IAC.  I've no good shots of the PC12s yet and the first 295 is due "soon". I'd likely head up for either of those.  I see also from the RIAT feed that the four ship of PC-9s "Silver Section" will be performing this year.

That said, any/all of that could appear at Bray, which I'm giving serious consideration to.
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2022, 09:57:40 PM »
I think the Swedish Draken & Viggen are the most likely for the show out of what was applied for, with possibly the Strikemaster pair. They are at the Guernsey airshow a few days before Portrush.

I'd be very surprised if Ultimate Warbirds 4 ship are at Portrush, Duxford and Paris Legends that weekend seem more likely.

Offline Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2022, 11:30:19 PM »
The Swedes have nice ships, but I've yet to see a display from them that was actually impressive. Of course they could turn up this year and give everyone afterburner induced sun tans, but I doubt it!

Given my record in recent years (well, before the virus panic) for missing good things and spending days on end waiting for things that don't appear, if I state definitively that I'm not going to Portrush, book it. They'll probably get an SR-72 flypast.

There was a time, and not even that long ago, when the showruners here were, if not enthusiasts themselves, then at least people who would give us a "nod" in terms of attracting things they knew we'd like to see (I'm thinking the two Jeffs and their predecessors). Unfortunately, I think those days are gone.   
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2022, 08:56:04 PM »
No RN Black Cats display either. At Sanicole that weekend

Offline rookie

• Military Movements Group
  • Group Captain
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Anything military
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2022, 09:12:45 PM »
As someone said it looks as if it's going to be the same old Portrush usuals. It's OK to take the kids out for the day and the biggest draw for most families is the reds but for the enthusiasts it's a bit of a flop I'd say

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2022, 01:08:23 AM »
OV-10 Bronco self confirmed for Portrush via their website schedule

Offline Tango Tango Fanta

• G8 Contact Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Portrush International Transfer Hub
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2022, 08:39:02 PM »
Going from memory, the reason that was given that Portrush is held in September is that it gives the businesses in the area the end of summer boost that will help them through into the new year when things in the town start to pick up again.

That was back in 2006 - Applications to Tourism NI scored higher if they took place outside of June July and Aug. It's been September ever since and the loose partnership with Ayr worked well. The new venue totally baffles me  -no infrastructure at all, and the shops in town will scarcely benefit - the reason the whole thing started in the first place!

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »

That was back in 2006 - Applications to Tourism NI scored higher if they took place outside of June July and Aug. It's been September ever since and the loose partnership with Ayr worked well. The new venue totally baffles me  -no infrastructure at all, and the shops in town will scarcely benefit - the reason the whole thing started in the first place!

2006? :O

Looks like the new website will be http://www.niinternationalairshow.com/

No Norweigan Historic Mig either now. They will be in Paris that weekend.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 07:34:53 PM by jasT1981 »