Author Topic: The slightly less well known  (Read 148493 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #925 on: August 01, 2021, 07:19:16 PM »
CAC Winjeel

The CAC CA-25 Winjeel is a three-seat training aircraft from the 1950`s.

It was developed by CAC as a contender to RAAF technical requirement No.AC.77 issued in 1948. Designed to replace both the Tiger Moth and the CAC Wirraway, the first two prototype CA-22 aircraft were flown in February 1951.However, it proved a very stable aircraft making it almost impossible to spin, and with this being a required part of pilot training the tail had to be redesigned. The aircraft looks similar in many ways to the more powerful UK Percival Provost

The first CA-25 aircraft flew in February 1955, and deliveries began that September.The first Winjeel entered service with No. 1 Basic Flying Training School (1 BFTS) at Uranquinty.The last aircraft of 62 completed was delivered in August 1957. In most of its service life, the Winjeel was used as a basic trainer at RAAF Base Point Cook in Victoria, after 1 BFTS was transferred there in 1958. The Winjeel remained in service with the RAAF as a basic trainer until 1968, when the Macchi MB-326 replaced it in this role. The failure of the all jet concept ensured that the Winjeel was retained in the training role until 1975,when it was replaced by the New Zealand-built PAC CT/4A Airtrainer.

A few Winjeels were used in the Forward Air Control (FAC) role. Initially operated by No. 4 Flight, they were equipped with smoke bombs for target marking. By 1994 there were 4 in service with No. 76 Squadron but later that year they were replaced by the Pilatus PC-9 and subsequently retired. Some examples of the aircraft remain in flying condition in private ownership as well as museum displays around Australia.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:12:50 AM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #926 on: August 15, 2021, 10:30:23 AM »
CAC Sabre

The CAC Sabre, or Avon Sabre or CA-27, is an Australian version of the North American Aviation F-86F Sabre fighter.

In 1951, CAC purchased a licence to build the F-86F Sabre. It was decided that the CA-27 would be powered by a licence-built version of the Rolls-Royce Avon R.A.7, rather than the GE J47.
In theory, the Avon was capable of more than double the maximum thrust and double the thrust-to-weight ratio of the US engine. This required a re-design of the fuselage, due to the Avon`s dimensions and lighter weight. Over 60 percent of the fuselage was altered and there was a 25 percent increase in the air intake size. Another big change was replacing the F-86F's six machine guns with two 30mm ADEN cannon, other changes were also made to the cockpit, and to provide an increase in fuel load.

The prototype ( CA-26 Sabre) first flew on 3 August 1953. Production aircraft were designated the CA-27 Sabre and first deliveries to the RAAF began in 1954. The first batch of aircraft were powered by the Avon 20 engine and were designated the Sabre Mk 30. Between 1957 and 1958 this batch had the wing slats removed and were redesignated Sabre Mk 31. These Sabres were supplemented by 20 new-build aircraft. The last batch were designated Sabre Mk 32 and used the Avon 26 engine, of which 69 were built up to 1961.

The RAAF operated the CA-27 from 1954 to 1971. From 1958 to 1960, CAC Sabres comprising 3 Sqn and 77 Sqn, undertook several ground attack sorties against communist insurgents during the Malayan Emergency. They remained in Malaysia at RMAF Butterworth (RAAF Butterworth). Armed with Sidewinder missiles, the Sabres were responsible for regional air defence during the Konfrontasi between Indonesia and Malaysia from 1963 until 1966.Between October and December 1965, a detachment of six Sabres, initially from 77 Sqn and later from 3 Sqn, was based at Labuan to conduct combat patrols over the Indonesian–Malaysian border on Borneo.

The last Sabres in Australian service, operated by No. 5 Operational Training Unit RAAF (5 OTU), were retired in July 1971.Former RAAF CAC Sabres were operated by the Royal Malaysian Air Force between 1969 and 1972. Due to better relations with Indonesia, 23 CAC Sabres were donated to the Indonesian Air Force  between 1973 and 1975, five were former Malaysian aircraft.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:14:01 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #927 on: August 25, 2021, 10:44:49 PM »
Lasco Lascoter

The Lasco Lascoter was a 1920s 6-seat passenger and mail carrier aircraft. Just one example was built.

It was a high-wing monoplane with a steel tube structure, featuring a tailwheel undercarriage and an enclosed cabin for passengers and the pilot. It first flew on 25 May 1929.It was powered by a Armstrong Siddeley Puma piston engine of 240 hp  It received its Certificate of Airworthiness on 22 July 1929 and was put into service with Australian Aerial Services, an airline owned by Lasco, and used on an air mail route between Queensland and Daly Waters, Northern Territory. The Lascoter was used by Australian Aerial Services and its successors until being withdrawn from use in 1938 and later scrapped during World War II.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:49:31 AM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #928 on: September 09, 2021, 05:53:21 PM »
Lasco Lascondor

The Lasco Lascondor was a 1930s Australian 8-seat passenger and mail carrier aircraft. It is claimed to be the first multi-engined aircraft designed and built in the Southern Hemisphere.

Development began in June 1928, concurrently with the company's Lascoter; the aircraft had 90% commonality of structural parts. It was a high-wing monoplane with a tubular steel structure, featuring a tailwheel undercarriage and a fully enclosed cabin for the passengers and the pilot. The main change was the three 150hp Armstrong Siddeley Mongoose engines instead of the Lascoter's single more powerful Siddeley Puma engine.
The Lascondor also had greater fuel capacity and a slightly longer fuselage with a larger cabin to accommodate an extra row of seats,also the Lascondor had only one set of flying controls to allow for another passenger seat, giving an overall capacity of seven passengers and one pilot.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 05:55:16 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #929 on: September 11, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »
Transavia PL-12 Airtruk

The Transavia PL-12 Airtruk is a single-engine agricultural aircraft.

The Airtruk is a shoulder-wing strut braced aircraft built with an all-metal construction. The cockpit is mounted above a tractor-located opposed-cylinder air-cooled engine and stumpy fuselage with rear door. The engine cowling, rear fuselage and top decking are of fibreglass. It has a tricycle undercarriage, the main units of which are carried on the lower wings. It has twin tail booms with two unconnected tails. Its first flight was on 22 April 1965, and was certified on 10 February 1966. It was powered by 300 hp Rolls Royce Continental IO-520-D engine

It has a 1 tonne capacity hopper and is able to ferry two passengers. Other versions can be used as cargo, ambulance or aerial survey aircraft, and carry one passenger in the top deck and four in the lower deck.
In July 1978 an improved model, the T-300 Skyfarmer made it`s first flight, which was powered by a Textron Lycoming IO-540-engine. This was followed in 1981 by the T-300A with improved aerodynamics. Transavia ceased production of the T-300 in 1985.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:28:42 AM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #930 on: September 19, 2021, 12:27:18 AM »
Tugan Gannet

The Tugan LJW7 Gannet,was a small twin-engined airliner from the 1930`s.

The Gannet was a strut-braced, high-wing monoplane, with twin de Havilland Gipsy Six 200 hp engines mounted on the wings. The undercarriage was a fixed tailwheel configuration with split main units. The wings were of wooden frames skinned in plywood, and the fuselage was built from welded steel covered in fabric.
The prototype Gannet began flight testing in October 1935, but was destroyed in a fatal crash shortly after. Despite this, the Gannet entered series production.

The type was operated by Butler Air Transport between Sydney and Broken Hill and one flew with Ansett Airways in 1943.It was the first Australian-designed and built aircraft to be taken on by the Royal Australian Air Force. RAAF Gannets saw service as survey aircraft between 1935 and 1942 when they were converted into air ambulances. The last RAAF Gannets were scrapped in 1946.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:29:16 AM by Angry Turnip »

Offline rookie

  • Military Movements Group
  • Group Captain
  • *
  • Posts: 579
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Anything military
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #931 on: September 19, 2021, 03:32:44 PM »
Transavia PL-12 Airtruk

The Transavia PL-12 Airtruk is a single-engine agricultural aircraft.

The Airtruk is a shoulder-wing strut braced aircraft built with an all-metal construction. The cockpit is mounted above a tractor-located opposed-cylinder air-cooled engine and stumpy fuselage with rear door. The engine cowling, rear fuselage and top decking are of fibreglass. It has a tricycle undercarriage, the main units of which are carried on the lower wings. It has twin tail booms with two unconnected tails. Its first flight was on 22 April 1965, and was certified on 10 February 1966. It was powered by 300 hp Rolls Royce Continental IO-520-D engine

It has a 1 tonne capacity hopper and is able to ferry two passengers. Other versions can be used as cargo, ambulance or aerial survey aircraft, and carry one passenger in the top deck and four in the lower deck.
In July 1978 an improved model, the T-300 Skyfarmer made it`s first flight, which was powered by a Textron Lycoming IO-540-engine. This was followed in 1981 by the T-300A with improved aerodynamics. Transavia ceased production of the T-300 in 1985.
Puts me in mind of a mini Blackburn Beverly

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #932 on: September 26, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »
Back to Europe, and Romania....


IAR CV 11

The I.A.R. fighter was named the C.V. 11 after its designers, it had a mixed metal-wood structure and low-wing configuration. The front fuselage structure was made of duraluminum tubes, while the rear part was of pinewood. The engine nacelle and the fuselage up to the cockpit were covered by duraluminum sheets, the section by plywood. The rear part of the fuselage merged with the tail giving the aircraft a rather unusual arrow-like look.The unbalanced control surfaces, which proved to be too small during trials, were made entirely of wood covered by fabric.

A second prototype was completed at I.A.R. This time a less powerful but lighter Hispano-Suiza 12Mc engine, with 12-cylinders in V, had been fitted to essentially the same fuselage. Although weaker than its predecessor, this engine gave a superior maximum speed of just over 200mph.The armament of two 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Vickers machine guns firing through the propeller arc had been retained from the first prototype. An O.P.L. type gunsight helped the pilot to aim its guns.In September 1931, General Constantin Lazarescu, the new inspector of DSA, decided not to consider the I.A.R. design, but to purchase the Polish P.Z.L. P.11.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:58:22 AM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #933 on: September 28, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »
IAR-15

The IAR 15 was a low-wing monoplane fighter designed in 1933.

It was based on the IAR-14, but had a radial powerplant so the front fuselage underwent an extensive redesign. As the cross-section was rounded a ring covered the 600 h.p. Gnome & Rhône 9Krs engine. With the new nine-cylinder radial the open cockpit aircraft attained a top speed of 230 mph at 13,000ft . This was later raised in stages to 34,000ft meaning the I.A.R. 15 could intercept most contemporary major bomber types.

The fuselage was a steel tube structure covered with dural in front of the cockpit and fabric to the rear. The tail was redesigned to a more triangular shape, and was also built of steel tube and dural-covered. An improved single strut undercarriage complete with wheel spats was fitted near the wing roots, and a small wheel replaced the tailskid. The wings were rounded off and shortened, they were built around two dural spars with a mixture of wood and metal ribs. Five prototypes were built and tests showed that the IAR 15 was as fast as competing aircraft, but less manoeuvrable, so no orders were placed for the type.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:16:22 AM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #934 on: October 05, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
IAR 37,38 and 39.

The IAR 37 was a 1930s Romanian reconnaissance and light bomber aircraft from the late 1930`s.

The IAR 37 prototype first flew in 1937. It was an unequal-span single bay biplane with a fixed tailwheel landing gear,it was powered by a licensed built Gnome-Rhône Mistral Major radial engine of 870 HP. It had a crew of three under a glazed cockpit, with the pilot and observer up front and a gunner at the rear.
The IAR 37 entered production in 1938, but production of the engine was very slow, which prevented the aircraft from being completed, and it was replaced on the production line by the IAR 38 and IAR 39 which were powered by a BMW 132 engine. As availability of the engine improved, the incomplete IAR 37s were fitted with IAR K.14-III C36 uprated slightly to 930 HP. Total production of all three types was 380, which continued until October 1944 with the majority being IAR 39s.                                                                             
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:18:27 AM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Angry Turnip

  • Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • *****
  • Posts: 12687
  • Gender: Male
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
Re: The slightly less well known
« Reply #935 on: October 08, 2021, 12:13:24 AM »
IAR 80

The IAR 80 was a low-wing monoplane, all-metal monocoque fighter and ground-attack aircraft from the late 1930`s.

Design work began on the IAR 80 prototype in late 1937, at first with an open cockpit and the 870 hp IAR K14-III C32 engine.Construction was slow and the first flight was not until April 1939. Test flights of the prototype were impressive; the aircraft could reach 320 mph at 13,000 ft, service ceiling was 36,000 ft.The IAR 80 also proved to be enjoyable to fly and was manoeuverable.
To improve power the design was updated to mount the newer 930 hp C36, however this engine was slightly heavier than the C32, which required the rear fuselage to be stretched to move the center of gravity back into the correct position. The extra space in the fuselage allowed larger fuel tanks to be fitted, and the wing was also enlarged also the tail was revised to remove the bracing struts.

The pilot had poor forward visibility while taxiing than most taildraggers so the seat was raised slightly and a bubble-style canopy was fitted. The initial batch in 1941 of fighters was well received by the Romanian pilots, but they found the aircraft underpowered and lacking firepower. By April 1941 the Romanians had joined the Axis powers, and as a result the Germans released machine guns for the aircraft. The resulting 80A model finally mounted the original complement of six guns. Armored glass in the windscreen, seat-back armor, and a new gun sight were also added at the same time, along with an uprated 1,025 hp K14-1000A engine. The extra engine power proved to be more than the fuselage structure was designed to handle, and it had to be reinforced with a metal band behind the cockpit in the first 95 A series aircraft built before the fuselage could be redesigned.

After World War II, the Soviets shipped home the entire I.A.R. factory and all aircraft from Brașov, as war reparations.IAR 80s remained in service until 1949, then replaced by La-9s and Il-10s. Those airframes with the lowest hours were modified by removing a fuel tank in front of the cockpit and adding a second seat, resulting in a trainer designated the IAR 80DC. These were used for only a short time before being replaced by Yak-11s and Yak-18s in late 1952. In total almost 450 aircraft were completed in several versions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:21:23 AM by Angry Turnip »