Author Topic: Variation of air traffic at Prestwick vs Aldergrove  (Read 766 times)

Offline Jimi182

• Military Movements Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Tornado
Variation of air traffic at Prestwick vs Aldergrove
« on: September 29, 2021, 12:03:17 PM »
Hi all.

There is a quite a variety of visitors into Prestwick, if not on a daily basis, then a weekly one, much more so than Aldergrove.

I've seen F-18s, various transports, cargos etc all head into Prestwick.

Here is my question - why would they (especially anything military) not use Aldergrove when transiting stateside onward to Europe, given that it does have the JHC and that military element, that Prestwick does not have (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
Re: Variation of air traffic at Prestwick vs Aldergrove
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 01:14:49 PM »
Prestwick, as HMS Gannet is a Royal Navy flying station, about the same status as Aldergrove.
Road links to other bases and access to US/NATO stores are obviously handy, otherwise, there are diplomatic/political considerations to be accounted for when transiting the airspace of of a constitutionally neutral third country, which affects Aldergrove more than stations in GB.
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline Jimi182

• Military Movements Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Tornado
Re: Variation of air traffic at Prestwick vs Aldergrove
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 02:40:25 PM »
Prestwick, as HMS Gannet is a Royal Navy flying station, about the same status as Aldergrove.
Road links to other bases and access to US/NATO stores are obviously handy, otherwise, there are diplomatic/political considerations to be accounted for when transiting the airspace of of a constitutionally neutral third country, which affects Aldergrove more than stations in GB.

Thanks for that.  I didn't know Prestwick was also a Naval Flying Station.  Interesting.

I just wish Aldergrove got the sort of traffic they do.  Even once a year, a few passing through F-18s etc - the C17's are fun, I've just never been there to see them!