Author Topic: Flight Simulator 2020  (Read 4335 times)

Online Causeway74

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Commodore
Flight Simulator 2020
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:13:04 AM »
Anyone else had a play with the new Microsoft Flight Sim? I had a play over the weekend and it is absolutely amazing. With the satellite data from Bing Maps you can fly VRF so accurately! I did a good tour around NI and noticed that even the small airfields are included e.g. Dunnyvadden/Tandragee, Movenis, Causeway, Carrickmore etc.

This will be continually developed product so this is a fairly early release but hopefully the addon market starts expanding before long.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

Offline wavecrest1

• Flight Lieutenant
Re: Flight Simulator 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 09:33:09 PM »
Did you play on a PC?
What spec (especially the gpu) ? And was it laggy?

Did you use a yoke and pedals?

Have you used xplane in the past?

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
  • Favourite Aircraft: Avro Lancaster
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS 700D & EOS 2000D
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:26:33 AM »
Eagerly awaiting the Xbox release of FS. It does look amazing. I spent meany hours (ok days) on Flight Sim X with a lot of the add-ons for airports, scenery etc. Northern Ireland looked impressive on it. So I can't wait to see how it looks in the new one.

I would LOVE to get it for the PC. I don't think however my current one is anywhere near powerful enough. Nor do I want to spend a fortune on a new one. Especially since it will be free on Xbox Ultimate Game Pass, which I think the PC one is also free for Xbox Ultimate members.

Online Causeway74

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:15:51 AM »
I've it installed on a SurfaceBook 3 which has a reasonably decent GPU but I don't get close to ultra settings. It is certainly playable though and the graphics are amazing. The aerodynamics model is completed reworked so if flying in something light you do get bumped around a lot so the stuttering is often disguised by the aircraft moving around!

I use an old Sidewinder stick but have an old CH Yoke somewhere in the attic. I had to create profiles as the controllers weren't recognised.

I did a lot with FSX back in the day, mostly with the PMDG addons and some custom scenery. VATSIM client already works with FS2020 which is nice.

It's supposed to be coming out for XBOX but I've no idea how that will turn out. There are hundreds of key assignments which you just cannot accommodate with console controllers. I use it through gamepass for PC.

If you've any sites of interest let me know and I'll try to grab a few screens.

Some clips I found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDaREpA9ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmE9AaEIRkE
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:03:27 AM by Causeway74 »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 03:45:12 PM »

It's supposed to be coming out for XBOX but I've no idea how that will turn out. There are hundreds of key assignments which you just cannot accommodate with console controllers. I use it through gamepass for PC.

Xbox supports Keyboard (And mouse) I've been using a keyboard for a good while on it. :)

Offline Mark42

• Military Movements Group
  • Squadron Leader
    • My Flickr Photos
  • Local Airport: Belfast City/Int
  • Favourite Aircraft: Mil or anything with rotors
  • Camera Used: Canon 80D
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »
A lot of improvements have been made since the last post here, and scenery is even better now.

The modding community has also ramped up with lots of free addons now up for download, including a helicopter ! A free H135 ( Eurocopter EC35 ) and it even has NI Air Ambulance livery available for it :)
You can download better Aldergrove, Belfast city airports, as well as Enniskillen, Eglinton,  and Newtownards too!

I'm running on a pretty good PC, in 4K with a RTX 3070 , although not at ultra settings , and its amazing.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:11:44 AM by Mark42 »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 02:32:07 AM »
July 27th for Xbox Series X.

I think this will be the first to push the limits of the Series X. It's a fantastic system, but nothing really testing it right now.