Author Topic: Not NI but PIK divert  (Read 1433 times)

Offline rookie

• Military Movements Group
  • Group Captain
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Anything military
Not NI but PIK divert
« on: October 15, 2021, 05:43:03 PM »
Just noticed KLM677 getting ready to depart PIK for YYC. I did notice her heading our way earlier today so looks as if she diverted after I saw her either just passing us or over the Atlantic. But did I not ready somewhere that BFS was an emergency divert airport?? Last time I think I heard about an emergency divert was it not the 777 that I think an Italian was prosecuted for disruption on the flight?

Offline rookie

• Group Captain
Re: Not NI but PIK divert
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 05:48:39 PM »
Just noticed KLM677 getting ready to depart PIK for YYC. I did notice her heading our way earlier today so looks as if she diverted after I saw her either just passing us or over the Atlantic. But did I not ready somewhere that BFS was an emergency divert airport?? Last time I think I heard about an emergency divert was it not the 777 that I think an Italian was prosecuted for disruption on the flight?
Just found a post on The sun it was an emergency divert
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/16431923/klm-flight-forced-emergency-landing/amp/

Offline Merlin

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Cake or Death???
  • Local Airport: George Best Belfast City Airport (BHD/EGAC)
  • Favourite Aircraft: Merlin EH-101, Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey), Supermarine Spitfire
  • Camera Used: Nikon D5200, Sigma DG 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO HSM
  • Airliners.net Photos: 7
  • Jetphotos.net Photos: 45
  • A-P.net Photos: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:06:43 PM »
I remember seeing an interview, which might have been around the time of the United[?] 777 divert to BFS, where somebody from the airport claimed that it was the diversion site for the island of Ireland which is simply not true.
The diversion airport for Ireland is Shannon. Any aircraft when it has a medical/mecahnical emergency diverts there, if it can't return to it's airport of departure.
TBH I'm not even sure why the Rome flight diverted here in the first place instead of trying for Shannon, presume it had something to do with the seriousness of the situation on board.
Dec
---
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Offline rookie

• Group Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »
Found the article
In regards to the united divert and my bad he was a Californian.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.belfastlive.co.uk/incoming/decision-divert-flight-belfast-recommended-11159172.amp

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 10:11:06 PM »
I remember this well, and the claims that passengers were " forced " to sleep on the terminal floor is utter nonsense. There is the hotel right beside the airport, you have the Ballyrobin Inn, Hilton Templepatrick, and The Templeton all near by, plus hotels in Belfast could have been used. Passengers would have to pay of course, and keep receipts to be reimbursed either by the airline, or their travel insurance.

I recall one man travelling with his young child and elderly relative who choose to sleep on the terminal floor, and then bleat about it all over social media. That guy was a disgrace, he could have easily got a taxi to a hotel, but as is so often the case with social media zombies, they expect to be spoon fed, and won`t think for themselves. They just blame everybody, and don`t even try to resolve the situation with a bit of common sense.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:12:31 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
  • Favourite Aircraft: Tornado
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »

I remember that flight diverting. The plane was burning off some fuel over the NE of NI  Heard the pilot give the guys seat number to ATC as well.