Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The World's worst airline?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline jasow

• Pilot Officer
    • FlybyNI - Aviation in Northern Ireland and Beyond
  • Local Airport: EKCH
  • Favourite Aircraft: Vulcan
The World's worst airline?
« on: November 21, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
Thought this was worth a share  :)

Been in business over 27 years and has yet to fly any passengers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/new-york/articles/oldest-new-airline-baltia-airlines-never-flown/

Offline smudge

• G8 Contact Group
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Human Name: Andrew
  • Local Airport: EGAD PP:QK 360R:GOTNA
Re: The World's worst airline?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
Hmm seems a bit suspicious... a non-flying airline that has lots of trading in its stock?  And with 9.3 billion shares issued?!

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=OTCMKTS:BLTA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9gp_jxrrQAhXlKsAKHd_lBh0Q2AEIGjAA

I see that the 81-year-old president Russell Thal previously founded Compuflight Inc back in the 1980s, to manage electronic flight schedules, NOTAMs etc.  How did he come to be involved with this outfit?  Ooops no he's a goner now, a former VP of Merrill-Lynch and Morgan Stanley is now in charge!   Anthony D. Koulouris.

~~

Their first B742 N705BL went to the breakers in Malaysia in 2012 and presumably N706BL is following.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=706BL

Both came from AIA, from which Conrad Kalitta bailed to re-form Kalitta Air which is also based at Willow Run MI.  And according to that Google page he's also a Director of Baltia.  I can't keep up with this web of intrigue...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:16:39 PM by smudge »

Offline wavecrest1

• Military Movements Group
  • Flying Officer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
To qualify as "World's worst airline", surely they have to fly people?

My nomination would have gone to NWA. They flew from Belfast to IOM and Blackpool about 15 years ago. They only lasted about a year but came back in various guises a number of times.

The plane leaked in bad weather - seats would be soaking. When it pulled up taking off, water would flood in through the ceiling panels.
The stewardess did not do a safety briefing but did make tea in paper cups and offered gingernuts straight from the packet.

My first trip was comical - in a Peter Kay sort of way; The second was fearful; There wasn't a third.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 09:13:12 PM »
I was never terribly impressed with BA when they did the BFS-LHR shuttle flights-the staff were very snotty and I always got the feeling the didn`t like us Norn Iron types-the gate being miles from anywhere else at LHR didn`t help,but that was back in the bad old days.

United seem to be consistent in getting poor reviews,I wouldn`t use them again either.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:14:20 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline smudge

• G8 Contact Group
  • Human Name: Andrew
  • Local Airport: EGAD PP:QK 360R:GOTNA
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »
I had completely missed the news that Baltia, successfully not flying passengers for 28 years, rebranded itself back in June to US Global Airways.

https://www.usglobal.com/

They continue issuing penny-stocks and not flying passengers, but now plan to continue not doing so by not leasing 767s instead of 747s.

Yes my head hurts too.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:52:13 PM by smudge »

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
That is one creepy Board of Directors - This has to be some sort of tax dodge or something else hooky,if it sounds to good to be true,then it generally is.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:31:14 PM by Angry Turnip »