Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Different approach to BHD  (Read 863 times)

Offline Merlin

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Cake or Death???
  • Local Airport: George Best Belfast City Airport (BHD/EGAC)
  • Favourite Aircraft: Merlin EH-101, Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey), Supermarine Spitfire
  • Camera Used: Nikon D5200, Sigma DG 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO HSM
  • Airliners.net Photos: 7
  • Jetphotos.net Photos: 45
  • A-P.net Photos: 10
Different approach to BHD
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
As I was leaving work this evening I spotted a Flybe Dash 8 out over the west side of the city heading towards Divis. This was at about 5pm and I was watching from Castlereagh.

At first I thought it was an aborted landing attempt on 22 but as I watched the plane suddenly banked left over Andersonstown and went straight in on 04 (basically did a 180 turn).

In all the years I've watched landings at BHD I've never seen one take that route or have that short a run-in.

Does this happen a lot and I've just missed it?  ???
Dec
---
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Offline greglloyd

• G8 Contact Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: EGAA
  • Favourite Aircraft: SR-71
Re: Different approach to BHD
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:16:07 PM »
We did a fairly unusual approach into Aldergrove back at beginning of July coming back from hols in Malaga (Sunwing 737). We approached from the south over Moira, Ballinderry, Glenavy, etc - as if going into runway 35.  But the aircraft remained high and we did a steep right turn right over the top of the airport at a height of several thousand feet. Best view ever of Aldergrove from above.
We then carried out towards Larne until we were right out over the coast giving a great view of the cliffs (weather was fab as heatwave was just starting that day) before turning back around for a 25 approach on the main runway. Something a little different

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
I have seen that quite a few times from my garden on the 25 side,usually holiday charters,but sometimes Easy`s do it as well;they join in the overhead of approx 6-700ft then out towards Ballyclare and on to Larne direction before joining the ILS approach to 25.

I think it`s mainly aircraft coming from a southerly direction that use that route.

Offline greglloyd

• G8 Contact Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: EGAA
  • Favourite Aircraft: SR-71
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
Yes, I tracked a flight coming in from Las Palmas a few days back and it approached from Athlone direction heading north over my location (Ballinderry). Height was around 10,500ft as it flew over. This aircraft then flew out over Stoneyford and Belfast before turning north at Carrickfergus to make the usual 25 approach. They defo seem to bring the southerly flights in higher now.