Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No show at Airwaves Portrush 2015  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Bagger99

• Test Group
  • Local Airport: Aldergrove
No show at Airwaves Portrush 2015
« on: September 05, 2015, 10:09:13 PM »
Having attended today's Airwaves airshow there are a number of points I should like to mention. Generally it was a good show, the highlight being the Vulcan B2 (XH558) and a spirited performance by the Blades aerobatic team. There was a no-show of the Sally-B B17 (these things happen) and the only member of the BBMF to turn up was the Hawker Hurricane. And it is about this last attraction that I want to say something. I was struck by how cautious the performance of the Hurricane was. It was so far from the flightline that it was at times difficult to see. It was like it appeared, flew up and down a few times then cleared off. It was almost begrudging. In fact, I thought that most of the acts were performed further away and higher (including the Red Arrows) than in the past which made me wonder: after the tragic events at Shoreham, were the service performers further restricted in how they flew? If so, why? The Airwaves performances were over water and were already deemed acceptable from a safety point of view, and were not included in the post-Shoreham 'tightening up' of regulations. Did anyone else feel this way about the show? I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

Offline ni_gaz

• G8 Contact Group
  • Wing Commander
Re: No show at Airwaves Portrush 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 11:21:14 PM »
Just on the subject of no shows. What was Sally B's reason for a no show considering she made the long trek up to Prestwick and displayed without a problem ! ... the BBMF Spitfire was tasked to to an eyeball on the Vulcans nose gear so maybe that explains his no show.

Offline smudge

• G8 Contact Group
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Human Name: Andrew
  • Local Airport: EGAD PP:QK 360R:GOTNA
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 11:27:57 PM »
The non-RAF jets were performing to a 'blue line' farther out in the bay.  I believe this was a result of the CAA restrictions.

If you noticed the Typhoon quite often placed itself over the beach, golf club and possibly some residential areas during its display whereas the Vulcan and Strikemaster didn't cross mainland at all whilst manoeuvring.

Offline PortrushFCC

• Pilot Officer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
The CAA permission for the show stipulated that the Vulcan, Viggen and Strikemaster displayed to a display line across the bay in line with the restrictions introduced as a result of the tragic accident at Shoreham.  All other items displayed to the line along the eastern edge of Portrush.  This line has height restrictions when overland which all display items complied with.  The Hurricane flew a professional and precise display, the military items (apart from the Tutor) have to fly to the 230m line to follow military display regulations where as civilian items can come in closer depending on their speed.  The B-17 'Sally B' had a starter motor problem so it could not make all the planned events on Saturday they plan to display at Portrush on Sunday.

Offline smudge

• G8 Contact Group
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
I don't think anyone doubted that the Hurricane display was professional and precise.  However like the BBMF Spitfire at Newcastle it was brief, repetitive and showed little of the aircraft other than its underside.  A missed opportunity to open people's eyes to an aircraft that is always overshadowed; for once it had centre-stage without the Spitfire.

The BBMF fighters have been lacklustre this year compared to their performances in 2014.  I'm not looking for aerobatics, just show me the aircraft.

You know something's lacking in a display when a bunch of enthusiasts look at each other and ask 'Is that it? Is he leaving?'. I'll bet the public were even more baffled.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:14:44 AM by smudge »

Offline Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 08:55:33 AM »
Don't think the weather is going to play ball today chsps!
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:13 PM »
Myself and Mrs AT were at the show both days and thoroughly enjoyed all the displays-it was understandable due to the CAA`s new guidelines that the aircraft were further out from the crowdline.
This can be frustrating,but it`s likely the way things are going to be from now on.
I suppose it depends very much on where you were watching from as to what sort of view you are going to get,without wanting to state the obvious.

Re the BBMF,the fighters in particular have almost always been displayed in a very gentle way-topside passes are few and far between,but this is all done to preserve the airframe life as much as possible.
There was a fascinating supplement in Flypast Magazine a few years ago which was all about the BBMF,the aircraft,the displays,the training etc,and it went into great detail about how and why the aircraft are displayed as they are.
The BBMF website likely has more info on this.

Offline smudge

• G8 Contact Group
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »
Hmm, The Skerries.  Islands that seem rather well positioned for fast-jet displays nowadays.

Apparently there is a 'rabbit problem' there after two eejits introduced them a few decades ago, but that's my sum knowledge of the islands.

Offline Paultojo

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • My Flickr stream
  • Local Airport: Belfast Int and City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Spook
  • Camera Used: 7D and 50D 24-105 and 100-400IS L
  • Airliners.net Photos: Name Paul
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »
Hmm, The Skerries.  Islands that seem rather well positioned for fast-jet displays nowadays.

Apparently there is a 'rabbit problem' there after two eejits introduced them a few decades ago, but that's my sum knowledge of the islands.

Was talked about over weekend as a naughty field possibility

Offline Merlin

• Global Moderator
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Cake or Death???
  • Local Airport: George Best Belfast City Airport (BHD/EGAC)
  • Favourite Aircraft: Merlin EH-101, Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey), Supermarine Spitfire
  • Camera Used: Nikon D5200, Sigma DG 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO HSM
  • Airliners.net Photos: 7
  • Jetphotos.net Photos: 45
  • A-P.net Photos: 10
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

Was talked about over weekend as a naughty field possibility

My suggestion was to plant pyrotechnics on it and blow it up during a role demo display  ;D
Dec
---
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Offline Ed Winchester

• Military Movements Group
  • Wing Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
Was told years ago by a local who lived there during the war the Americans wanted to turn the bay into a giant harbour and fill in the gaps round the Skerries with concrete to keep U boats out
Don't know if true but easy to see why it could be done

Offline Tango Tango Fanta

• G8 Contact Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Portrush International Transfer Hub
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 12:59:52 PM »
Yep - that's true. Fortunately the war ended.