Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NI spotters - not exactly close knit  (Read 16833 times)

Offline Dave

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • My Jetphoto Images
NI spotters - not exactly close knit
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:37:56 PM »
When I first started photographing aircraft, I have imagined all the aviation photographers in NI would be quite close knit, as all share the same hobby and passion. Yet thinking about it now, apart from this website, theres no real connection between everyone. Theres absolutely no commradie, especially on a level I thought it would be. A majority of top NI spotters (as far as I'm aware) are not members of the site, such people has Colin Hines, Paul Harvey (angry?), Chris Patton, a few to name, all photographers I admired before I took up photography myself. I am sure there are many others that have escaped my memory!

If we could somehow attract some of the larger names in NI aviaition it might help? A top photographer, Dale Coleman, who used to live in MAN is now currently living in NI, and is potentially here for the long term, therefore will be spotting at BFS and BHD in the future. It would be ace to have him join the website.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3527

The comradie on this website is great, but it could easily be expanded. Don't take that the wrong way Casper, what you've done with this site is fantastic, it could just do with some more members whom could contibute to aircraft movements, etc

Offline casper

• Administrator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
    • Northern Ireland Aviation
  • Local Airport: Aldergrove EGAA
  • Favourite Aircraft: F-14 Tomcat
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS7D
  • Airliners.net Photos: 8
  • Jetphotos.net Photos: 54
  • A-P.net Photos: 510
Re: NI spotters - not exactly close knit
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:09:35 AM »
The comradie on this website is great, but it could easily be expanded. Don't take that the wrong way Casper, what you've done with this site is fantastic, it could just do with some more members whom could contribute to aircraft movements, etc
Chips I couldn't agree more, but how do we attract more to the site? As I've said before there are members who visit the site regularly, read what's been posted but never take part in any of the discussions.

Also the statistics at getting better each month with pages views of 1500 - 3000 a day becoming a regular occurrence. This does include members and search engine spiders and bots but the site is being listed by the search engines.

But back to my original question, how do we attract more members to the site? Should I just be blunt and contact anyone that seems to be from (Northern) Ireland on Jetphotos, Airliners etc and invite then to join?

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
  • Local Airport: city of derry
  • Favourite Aircraft: vulcan bomber
  • Camera Used: Sony Handycam & Sony A200 18-70mm & 75-300mm lens & Sigma 150-500mm lens
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
I was taking to a friend of mine, i told him about this site and asked him for his opinion.
this is what he said. "it's a great site but like many forum's not many people like to share their pictures with anyone as they use them for Mag's or other media or they copywrite them so you can't use them for anything, like promoting the site. also they maybe put of by the way people interact with the forum " This is just from his experiance with other forums, But he thinks this is one of the better ones around.
All theese worlds are yours except EUROPA

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:58:45 AM »
Not sure why he thinks that as quite a few of us post pictures. But it's nice to know that it's a likable forum :)

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
  • Camera Used: Sony Handycam & Sony A200 18-70mm & 75-300mm lens & Sigma 150-500mm lens
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »
Not sure why he thinks that as quite a few of us post pictures. But it's nice to know that it's a likable forum :)
He saw, that but some of the big names don't always like to do this as he found out on other forums.

Offline Dave

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • My Jetphoto Images
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
The comradie on this website is great, but it could easily be expanded. Don't take that the wrong way Casper, what you've done with this site is fantastic, it could just do with some more members whom could contribute to aircraft movements, etc
Chips I couldn't agree more, but how do we attract more to the site? As I've said before there are members who visit the site regularly, read what's been posted but never take part in any of the discussions.

Also the statistics at getting better each month with pages views of 1500 - 3000 a day becoming a regular occurrence. This does include members and search engine spiders and bots but the site is being listed by the search engines.

But back to my original question, how do we attract more members to the site? Should I just be blunt and contact anyone that seems to be from (Northern) Ireland on Jetphotos, Airliners etc and invite then to join?

Over the past few days, I have started contacting some of the old familar names of NI aviation and have passed on info about this website, and have also told Dale Coleman (hehe ironic name, almost as if this website was named after him  ;) ) about the website. Personally I see nothing wrong with contacting NI spotters and passing on details about the website as 1) they might not be aware of it and 2) it would probably benefit everyone, both them and us.

There is a small number of avition spotters in NI, it only takes one airshow to see them all in action. When the Reds visited BHD last year, I was stunned by the amount of spotters with SLR's occupying the top level of IKEA carpark. I think searching flickr and contacting people might also help.

Thanks to you Casper, this website is the perfect place to base NI aviation spotters. Kudos!

A good friend of mine plans on getting a laptop soon, and he lives just under the flight path to BHD so I have ordered him to join the website, I'm sure he will make a good contributor about 'Shorts 360' sighting that actually turn out to be the Dornier for Manx2  ;D

Portrush Airshow might be the ideal place to attract some guys who arn't aware of the websites existance. A small clipit in the airshow programme or perhaps some small cards, although I understand these cost money.  :-\

Offline Dave

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • My Jetphoto Images
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
I was taking to a friend of mine, i told him about this site and asked him for his opinion.
this is what he said. "it's a great site but like many forum's not many people like to share their pictures with anyone as they use them for Mag's or other media or they copywrite them so you can't use them for anything, like promoting the site. also they maybe put of by the way people interact with the forum " This is just from his experiance with other forums, But he thinks this is one of the better ones around.

That's a bit of the shame. Casper's taken some steps to try and eliminate copywriting. Also to be an active member, posting photos isn't neccessary. Just sharing past and present experiences is cool. :)

(p.s. String, you are right, that a period of absence, there are a load of Saab 340's operating from BHD again.

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
Over the past few days, I have started contacting some of the old familar names of NI aviation and have passed on info about this website, and have also told Dale Coleman
Very much appreciated :)

Personally I see nothing wrong with contacting NI spotters and passing on details about the website
I'll maybe look into this over the next few days and see who I can recruit :)

so I have ordered him to join the website
:LOL :LOL
I'm sure he will make a good contributor about 'Shorts 360' sighting that actually turn out to be the Dornier for Manx2
Well hopefully we can educate him :)

A small clipit in the airshow programme or perhaps some small cards, although I understand these cost money.
This is something I had thought about. Maybe Tango Tango Fanta could advise on the costs involved. I even looked at the possibility of getting t-shirts printed with the name on the back for the kids and myself to wear last year but the printer said he wouldn't have them ready in time (I left it too late). Maybe this year.

Offline Dave

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • My Jetphoto Images
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
This is something I had thought about. Maybe Tango Tango Fanta could advise on the costs involved. I even looked at the possibility of getting t-shirts printed with the name on the back for the kids and myself to wear last year but the printer said he wouldn't have them ready in time (I left it too late). Maybe this year.

I'm liking the idea about t-shirts although the weather has to be good to be worn. lol If you do get some t shirts made up, I would be happy to buy one or two for me and a friend to wear at Portrush whilst spotting.

A year or two ago, I bought some printable Iron-On paper so you could print out your own design and then just iron it on to you T-shirt or Jumper.

Give that T shirt Idea some serious consideration. I'm sure a few other member would be happy to purchase some T shirts from you. You could open a thread about the possible design, etc

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »
I am NOT Paul Harvey---

There is a group called NIAG Northern Ireland Aviation Group,but they are of the "Secret Squirel"type-their sit is by invite only.

Don`t see whay so many with aviation interests are so competetive and like to stay in little cliques-that is what ruined the Ulster Aviation Society and others.

If you don``t want to share info in my opinion you should bog off to your little shed with your tail code note books and your flask of horlicks and an anorak!

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 02:23:43 PM »
To be honest I never heard of the NIAG. Are they still active as their website seems a bit out of date - last meeting February?
Don`t see why so many with aviation interests are so competitive and like to stay in little cliques
Hopefully you won't find this site like that. There are no secret handshakes or areas that can't be accessed by the general public.

Offline Dave

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • My Jetphoto Images
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
I've never heard of NIAG either although they do mention on the small webpage that anybody is welcome to attend the meetings.

Although as mentioned, the forming of secret and competitive aviation groups is frustrating and pointless. The hobby that is loved by all should be shared. The only friends I've made and met so far have been those from Prestwick and Manchester. I would have thought by know I'd know a good hand full of locals at both BHD and BFS. I'm already looking for an opportunity to return to Prestwick to meet the guys again.

Dalesplanes is the only none-secretive group at the moment, we should probably meet up at Portrush, it would be nice to see the faces behind the screen names.

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:33:19 PM »
That's a great idea we should meet up sometime. Something like an AGM :LOL
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:37:05 PM by String »

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »
It will depend on the size of the order 1 shirt is 17.99 free p&p (rough price)
2 shirts give 5 discount
so the more you order the bigger the discount.
Check the web for sites like http://www.streetshirts.co.uk/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:15:44 PM by String »

Offline Dave

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Marshal
    • My Jetphoto Images
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
String, we're probably jumping the gun a wee bit here, but nice site none the less. I just had a wee play around to see what could be done and came up with these;

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
They look great. just need to pitch it to someone then your good to go.
How does this sound: split the sale of the shirts 50% towards airshow 50% to the seller e.g.  MR CHIPS, and the same with the DVD's.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:27:05 PM by String »

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 11:19:32 AM »
The reason I enjoy this site is that people DO share info-I have nothing against "number crunchers" but I hate all the cloak and dagger stuff that frequently plagues many aviation groups.

I don``t like the term "spotter" because it makes many people think you are a weirdo-It`s OK to like cars,motorbikes etc but with aircraft or trains many people think it`s a bit sad.

I don`t own an anorak!!! ;D

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »
To be honest I'm very ignorant of the 'cloak and dagger stuff that frequently plagues many aviation groups' although I have stopped using one particular site after I got a reply from an admin to a post I made, the jest of it was 'Oh ffs this has been posted before'. Thought it was totally rude and uncalled for.

As for not sharing info I don't see the reason for that. Sometimes what I post here I'll post in other forums and gallerys

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
BTW Angry I take it you're back online then :)

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 01:33:58 PM »
No,sadly not-BT have still some work to do to upgrade the line before I am back online-using a friends PC.

We moved here 10th April and they still haven`t got it sorted!!!

Is it any wonder I get Angry ;D

Very frustrating having no internet.

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »
That the reason i joined talktalk I get free calls to anywhere in the UK Plus FREE broadband and FREE wireless router check here. http://www.talktalk.co.uk/

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »
I had considered Talk Talk and others(thanks for the suggestion), but the fault is the line needs to be upgraded so I just have to wait for BT to do it.
They don`t appear to be busting themselves to sort it out.We now live near the approach to runway 25 so it`s not as if we are deep in the sticks! Crumlin BT exchange is only 2 miles away.

My ISP is Orange (formally Wanadoo)

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »
Crumlin BT exchange is only 2 miles away.
The general rule is with 5 miles of the exchange (if I remember correctly) but what they don't tell you is that it's the actual length of the cabling running from the exchange to your house. You may live 2 miles from the exchange but there could be 20 miles of cabling between you.

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 02:13:01 PM »
Here is a free broadband speed tester
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
it will tell you everything you need to know.

Offline String

• Air Marshal
    • bann wildlife
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
Forgot to say that talktalk have their own engineers now called BT open care i think, on the talktalk web page it asks you for your telephone no and postcode enter them and it should give you an idea if you can get free broadband, if talktalk don't share the exchange then you will have to pay 10 per month untill they get it sorted out.
i get 4MB broadband speed i'm 990 meters from the exchange.