Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Air Waves Portrush 2018 - 1st - 2nd September  (Read 28012 times)

Offline marko16

• Military Movements Group
  • Group Captain
  • Local Airport: belfast international
  • Favourite Aircraft: A330, ATLAS, B777
Re: Air Waves Portrush 2018 - 1st - 2nd September
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
Yes, good show for what there was, il certinly be back but, unless there is a big headline act, im afraid i heard others in the crowd say they wont be back for it.

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
  • Favourite Aircraft: Avro Lancaster
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS 700D
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »
Now my crankiness has subsided I did enjoy what I saw yesterday. Global Stars and Wildcats were good and the DC3/Beech 18 was fantastic. Especially the DC3 low passes of the beach.  Always good to see the Catalina too.

The main issue was the big long gaps. I know that was down to so many cancellations but as said there was no plan B. Newcastle actually had a few displays on standby this year just in-case. Chipmunks and I believe Team Raven were on standby.  I was getting pretty fed up standing around with nothing going on after such a long trip up.

Trading stalls seemed to be very low this year, only a handful down on the grass in village south, not sure what village North was like, but compared to last year it was very empty. The good thing was though a lot of the stalls were aviation related. Some great models I had to resist buying. Sadly the stall selling them for £2.50 the last few years wasn't there.

Portrush is pretty easy (all be it long) to get to via the train. I have to leave the house at 7:50am to get there for just after 12. Doing that both ways is tiring. It will take something impressive to bring me back next year though.

Static display was good. UMVC had a good lot at it along with the UAS. The one thing I will say is for an official RAF 100 event it didn't seem like there was much RAF 100... Newcastle was far better in that respect.

Back to RIAT for me next year I think after missing this years.

Offline Westlandman

• Test Group
  • Local Airport: Belfast city
  • Favourite Aircraft: Westland Scout
  • Camera Used: Cannon 7D
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »
Now my crankiness has subsided I did enjoy what I saw yesterday. Global Stars and Wildcats were good and the DC3/Beech 18 was fantastic. Especially the DC3 low passes of the beach.  Always good to see the Catalina too.

The main issue was the big long gaps. I know that was down to so many cancellations but as said there was no plan B. Newcastle actually had a few displays on standby this year just in-case. Chipmunks and I believe Team Raven were on standby.  I was getting pretty fed up standing around with nothing going on after such a long trip up.

Trading stalls seemed to be very low this year, only a handful down on the grass in village south, not sure what village North was like, but compared to last year it was very empty. The good thing was though a lot of the stalls were aviation related. Some great models I had to resist buying. Sadly the stall selling them for £2.50 the last few years wasn't there.

Portrush is pretty easy (all be it long) to get to via the train. I have to leave the house at 7:50am to get there for just after 12. Doing that both ways is tiring. It will take something impressive to bring me back next year though.

Static display was good. UMVC had a good lot at it along with the UAS. The one thing I will say is for an official RAF 100 event it didn't seem like there was much RAF 100... Newcastle was far better in that respect.

Could not agree more sitting around for hours to see 1 display to then wait another 45 minutes to an hour for the next. Some old boys and girl just can't do it anymore.

Offline marko16

• Group Captain
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »

Could not agree more sitting around for hours to see 1 display to then wait another 45 minutes to an hour for the next. Some old boys and girl just can't do it anymore.
never mind the old boys and girls, my 2 boys could just about keep themselves contented lol

Offline Midas

• G8 Contact Group
  • Flight Lieutenant
  • Local Airport: Aldergrove
  • Favourite Aircraft: Boeing 767
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2018, 08:50:02 PM »
Considering the weather-related issues, todays show wasn’t bad. However, even the kids remarked that it was the same as last year. Always like the Red Arrows and Eurofighter but would love to see more jets (or even civil aircraft such as Airbus/Boeing’s etc). To be honest, we’ve been up three years on the trot now but unless there’s something good and different next year, we’ll be giving it a break for a while. That said, well done to all who organise and manage the show each year - it’s still very good but just needs a few changes in terms of aircraft displaying to keep it interesting.

Offline NISPOT

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Commodore
  • Local Airport: EGAC
  • Favourite Aircraft: Ikarus C42
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2018, 10:20:09 PM »
At ballymoney here en route to the port, actually looking pretty good weather wise any clouds that are about are still very low but...

Did Red 10 arrive by road today rather than heli?

Offline Ed Winchester

• Wing Commander
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2018, 10:42:38 PM »
Falcons dropped him off. Well not literally.

Offline Chr81

• Pilot Officer
  • Local Airport: City of Derry
  • Favourite Aircraft: Apache
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2018, 11:42:58 PM »
Even though today was better I think overall the airshow has definitely lost it's spark for the past few years it's been basically the same thing over and over. I'm not having a go at the organisers as I'm sure their hands are tied with budgets etc and I'm sure they are as disappointed as the rest of us when an aircraft goes tech or the weather plays havoc with the schedule.
Overall for the towns of Portrush, Portstewart and Joe public looking for a day out the show will be considered a success going by the amount of people in the area the past few days.

Offline Jimi182

• Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Tornado
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »
At ballymoney here en route to the port, actually looking pretty good weather wise any clouds that are about are still very low but...

Did Red 10 arrive by road today rather than heli?

I think he arrived by helicopter around 12. I don't think he departed till late afternoon though? On a side note, the new Red 10 would need to be a little more active on Twitter. Mike Ling still tweets the odd bit of info and it's great, but the new guy just seems to retweet what the main Red Arrows account puts up and not much else.

Offline smudge

• G8 Contact Group
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Human Name: Andrew
  • Local Airport: EGAD PP:QK 360R:GOTNA
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »
The heli at 12ish was EC20 EI-FAB.  It departed about 17:30 in horrendous rain.

Offline ed-209

• Flight Lieutenant
  • Favourite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
  • Camera Used: Canon 70D + CANON EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6L USM IS Sigma 150-600mm
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2018, 12:08:44 AM »
Work in  Progress - Portrush Airshow 2018 Photies - 3 a day will be added

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153090095@N06/albums/72157697701600512

Updated 04/09/2018
Updated 05/09/2018
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:46:58 PM by ed-209 »

Offline in a maze

• Pilot Officer
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2018, 07:29:19 AM »
Will there be a show next year, I see there is no airshow in Prestwick in 2019.

Offline marko16

• Group Captain
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2018, 07:44:16 AM »
Work in  Progress - Portrush Airshow 2018 Photies

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153090095@N06/albums/72157697701600512
Looking 4wd to the rest of them ed, fantastic pics, how did u keep up with the typhoon, me and my little compact camera were all over the place lol

Offline ed-209

• Flight Lieutenant
  • Favourite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
  • Camera Used: Canon 70D + CANON EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6L USM IS Sigma 150-600mm
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2018, 01:07:28 PM »
Cheers....I was all over the place as well lol...if you stand too close to me you would deffo get hit with the big lens. Need to go to yoga classes shooting this one at Ramore!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:10:08 PM by ed-209 »

Offline marko16

• Group Captain
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2018, 07:07:21 PM »
😂😂

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2018, 06:27:30 PM »
For those who went on Sunday, what type of display did the Reds do? I am assuming it would have been flat or rolling and not the full display due to weather?

Online Fly757X

• Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: EGAE _ City of Derry Airport
  • Favourite Aircraft: B752/3 & B733/4/5
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2018, 10:03:50 PM »
For those who went on Sunday, what type of display did the Reds do? I am assuming it would have been flat or rolling and not the full display due to weather?

Flat Display.

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2018, 12:33:37 AM »
Thanks, thought it would be that.

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2018, 03:54:16 PM »
I wonder how this could affect Portrush next year. The Scottish show, normally at Ayr could be moving to Kirkcaldy on the East coast of Scotland as Ayr won't be hosting in it 2019. Talk of a possible date change too stating 'Between June & September'

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/plan-to-bring-airshow-to-kirkcaldy-waterfront-1-4805996
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:55:20 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »
Oh dear,what a badly researched piece of junk this article is.Pictures of the Vulcan? Leuchars and St.Andrews unusuitable? St.Andrews has West Strand Road which would be a good viewpoint/venue,but it`s right beside the golf course.
RAF Leuchars as it used to be held huge Battle Of Britain airshows until the RAF left in 2014,it is now an army base.
Plenty of room for aircraft to land if they wanted to go down that route and have a static display as well.I`m not sure what the status of the runways is at Leuchars,but I think they still have a UAS presence there.
Kirkcaldy does have a nice straight promenade,but that`s about it,it`s probably a little too close to Edinburgh air traffic as well.

Offline Sonic Boom

• Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: Aldergrove
  • Favourite Aircraft: Tornado F3
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
Oh dear,what a badly researched piece of junk this article is.Pictures of the Vulcan? Leuchars and St.Andrews unusuitable? St.Andrews has West Strand Road which would be a good viewpoint/venue,but it`s right beside the golf course.
RAF Leuchars as it used to be held huge Battle Of Britain airshows until the RAF left in 2014,it is now an army base.
Plenty of room for aircraft to land if they wanted to go down that route and have a static display as well.I`m not sure what the status of the runways is at Leuchars,but I think they still have a UAS presence there.
Kirkcaldy does have a nice straight promenade,but that`s about it,it`s probably a little too close to Edinburgh air traffic as well.

Leuchars would be perfect, I was at many a show there and the QRF North is moving there next summer while Lossie is worked at so runways must be kept operational.
Good public transport facilities too with the railway station and the base is massive for statics.

Online Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »
I think what they're looking at here is the freebie element of the show, rather than the on-station.
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
I think what they're looking at here is the freebie element of the show, rather than the on-station.

Yeah,well that`s true enough,but I just thought it was daft to rule Leuchars out,maybe the MOD aren`t keen,who knows.