Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airwaves 2018- Portrush Photos & Photo Taking Experience  (Read 524 times)

Offline ed-209

• Military Movements Group
  • Flight Lieutenant
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
  • Camera Used: Canon 70D + CANON EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6L USM IS Sigma 150-600mm
Airwaves 2018- Portrush Photos & Photo Taking Experience
« on: September 12, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »
Please find enclosed a link to my constantly updating album.

Too many to try and reduce in size and post in the thread!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153090095@N06/albums/72157671028122527

As with any airshow my goal is to improve on the previous years photos. The 150-600 is a big learning curve. Hand holding it all day, apart for the occasional photo lying on my stomach when resting it on my camera bag made for a few nice shots of the s92 and Swiss Formation from Ramore head with lower shutter speeds. Even with the not so glorious weather during the typhoon dispays I'm glad I went up both days as it did take both days to get an overall selection. I would normally shoot with centre focus point but the middle nine gave much better results using it on day 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vQwZzbhzXs

Even with seeing the same aircraft, the goal was to learn and improve and try new things on some of the previous years displays that I messed up on. Happy to get some decent keepers of the typhoon this year but can only hope that a more colourful one will be used in the coming years as grey on grey can be a bland. Next year will definitely get a bean bag cushion since Portrush can get quite windy and there are plenty of walls around Portrush to lean on to try and acheive lower shutter speeds. Monopd was a waste of time and a tripod I think would be very restrictive except for the Swiss Formation and Catalina. Overall a good learning experience and still many improvements to be made :). So there you go , as long as the Hurricane and Spitfire are on the cards I will be going as that's my motivation for next year as I still have no decent photos of either, hopefully there will be a few nice surprises as well!! The 70-300L lens never made it onto the camera body all day...just does not cut it for Portrush or Newcastle but hopefully Duxford will get its use in the next few years :) Maybe trade it in for a used 7D mark2 body.
My advice to anyone hand hold shooting with the 150-600 depending on your panning skills would be 1/400 max speeds on the small prop planes dropping to 1/320.
For the cat and swiss formation 1/250 and lower. (bean bag time)..typhoon 1600 min.....Reds I like the opposition passes which come out better at 1/2500
 and the S95 1/125 max....1/100 (bean bag time)...the photo info for each pic should appear under each photo and will give you an idea of what you might expect with not the greatest panning technique. One other important thing is I tend to shoot +1/2-+1.0 of a stop as overexposed shots can be reduced in exposure through photoshop but dark underexposed wing shots  with no adjustment could be destroyed..open up the EXIF link under each photo and check the exposure bias. You can also check out the metering mode used as well...I tend to change these around alot during passes...I take a lot more shots so I can take shots of multiple metering modes and exposure bias adjustments / speeds and build up a picture what way i should set the camera up for each aircraft :) One other thing...I purchased a new sandisk extreme card this year 90mb/s read and 45 mb/s write speed......the 45 is the important one as the 70D will show a 26 shot buffer in the right hand side in the view finder.....i did some tests with my older card and the buffer refilled very quickly and the card performed excellent :) The 90mb/s is for transferring the pics to the PC which i dont care if it takes a few mins longer just look for the write speed on these cards :) A the end of the day photography is a huge learning curve...what I posted works for me but best thing is never shoot the one setting and speed the entire display...get a few bankers in the bag and play about as its the only way you will improve and will make the next display more enjoyable and less worrying about screwing up all your shots....mind you, we have the weather that usually does this anyway regardless, unfortunately no one has invented a display weather setting on the camera yet :) Might be a good idea to get to your local airport and practice panning for a few hours the day before? Hopefully Newcastle will be 2 days as well..when you got a year in between displays you get quite rusty so gonna delve into the motorbikes this year to try and improve the panning and aim for the slow shutter blurred background capture :)
Regards,
Ed
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:35:26 PM by ed-209 »

Offline marko16

• Wing Commander
  • Local Airport: belfast international
  • Favourite Aircraft: A330, ATLAS, B777
Re: Airwaves 2018- Portrush Photos & Photo Taking Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »
Very informative ed, and good pics too.

Offline viking9

• Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: BHD
  • Favourite Aircraft: KC-135R
  • Camera Used: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G80
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »
Superb photos, Ed, and the best opposition pass photos I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Tom
Tom

Offline ed-209

• Flight Lieutenant
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
  • Camera Used: Canon 70D + CANON EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6L USM IS Sigma 150-600mm
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:36:52 PM »
Cheers...was a Tad lucky on the Saturday...trick  I find  is to keep both eyes open. I use my right eye in the view finder and always pan right to left...so when i start to pan my left eye keeps an eye on the A/C approaching from the left so I know when to start my burst :) Seems to give me more consistant results but the 1/2500 helps  big time :) Thats one of the reasons I want the 7dmk2 moving from 7 to 10 FPS should help as well :)

Tried 1/5000 by accident  last year iso hit the roof & forgot to zoom out to 600mm so quality bombed...prefer the blurr on the trailing A/C so gonna stick to 1/2500. So easy to make mistakes in the heat of the moment :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153090095@N06/36803972776/in/album-72157686119429283/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:54:35 PM by ed-209 »