Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BFS Security Queues still a problem  (Read 651 times)

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
BFS Security Queues still a problem
« on: March 11, 2019, 05:29:45 PM »
BFS is getting a hammering again in the media over queues for security checks outbound and inbound,plus baggage reclaim is also apparently very slow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47521609

Hard to tell if this is the "snowflake needy me" generation,or if it`s people turning up last minute and expecting to catch their flights,or what,and it doesn`t look too clever having people entering the building via the exit doors,and standing in the cold.

Offline RNASMU

• G8 Contact Group
  • Wing Commander
  • Favourite Aircraft: Too many
Re: BFS Security Queues still a problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 11:15:28 PM »
I arrived at the International on Friday afternoon at 3.15 for our flight to Liverpool at 5.15. When we reached the top of the stairs, we were met with a queue of people trying to enter the security area. Due to the volume of people, the ticket scanner allowing access into the area appeared to slow the process of entry.

A number of people behind me jumped the queue, probably fearing they would miss their flight. When we entered the security area, the queues were to the door.

In total it took us 45 minutes to clear security. The flight to Liverpool lasted 30 minutes. As we waited to board our flight I couldnít help wonder how any elderly person could endure this unnecessary delay.

We flew home from Liverpool this morning on the 9.30 flight, we arrived at the airport at 7.45 expecting long queues due to the Monday morning rush. We cleared security in 15 minutes.

There were three in our party and we were all subjected to a rigorous search in both Belfast and Liverpool. I was body scanned at Belfast and had to wait several minutes until someone came and did the scan.

The criticism being heaped on BIA by the media and the public in my opinion is quite justified, this problem has been highlighted since last year, and today 70 people missed their flight. Excuses by management will only be accepted by the public for so long. The bottom line is BIA will lose the long suffering publicís business.

I havenít used BIA in quite a few years and to be honest I donít want to give them any future business. Donít get me wrong, I havenít been to any airport which was perfect, flying today is a chore and has been since 2001, but BIA need to start treating the public as customers and not cattle.

In my opinion the Security area at BIA is too small and canít cope with the volume of people, perhaps they should reduce the size of the overpriced Retail Area and allocate it to Security.

In concluding, last Autumn my son in law flew to Liverpool for a business meeting, he arrived at BIA for the early morning flight to Liverpool. He arrived two hours prior to departure, unfortunately the queues were so bad he had to ring the airport and ask them to put him through to the departure gate and ask them could they keep the gate open until they cleared Security, fortunately they did, and made it with a minute to spare.

While BIA languish in the dark ages, the City and Dublin Airports will prosper.

Ian

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:47:25 AM »
Interesting to hear your experience`s--I agree BIA have let this become a major issue,and have done very little to rectify the problem.ICTS that used to handle the security did not have the contract renewed,but that was never the problem.

The security check area is far too small,and has been for many years-people missing flights should not happen,you will always get one or two that turn up an hour before,and expect to get on without problems,but that is not what`s happening at BIA.
The shopping area has loads of space,it makes the airport money,security checks do not,therefore BIA are trying to cope with woefully inadequate security facilities,and are incredibley slow to address the problem.The airlines need to complain about this as well as passengers.
BIA is shooting it`s self in the foot and passengers will go elsewhere if this is not sorted out quickly,it needs to be addressed and big improvements made well before the summer.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:48:04 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline wavecrest1

• Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 01:18:38 AM »
It's a mismanaged system.
I'm the type of person who turns up early, has a coffee and gets a seat by a big window... and no one would ever describe me as a snow flake.
I've travelled through 9 airports in the last 6 months and, consistently, BFS is, by far, the worst experience.
Monday isn't a one off; It's been an on running problem for months.
It's not just Sunday nights and Monday mornings; Even mid week flights suffer. On 04-12-18, I queued for 1hr35 because they had only enough staff to run one scanner.
I now always pay the £4 for security fast track (when it's available). BFS is the only airport that I feel the need to do this.
I've had a supplier miss a flight due security queues. I now tell suppliers and customers to pay for security fast track to ensure they make their flights.

I suspect it's got to do with the low cost carriers. They must force the service charges down to the point that the airport has to recoup the money through the dodgy drop off fees and now the £4 for reasonable security queues. If this is the case, it's a lousy nickel and dime business model that will just drive travellers, investors and prospective airlines away.

Iím an advocate of BFS. I want to see it succeed and grow. The airportís success directly affects the wider NI economy.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:03:15 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
  • Favourite Aircraft: Avro Lancaster
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS 700D
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »

There were three in our party and we were all subjected to a rigorous search in both Belfast and Liverpool. I was body scanned at Belfast and had to wait several minutes until someone came and did the scan.

I had a very similar experience last time I flew from BIA. Was flagged for a body scan (forgot to take my neck chain off) even in realising my error they wouldn't let me take it off and go through again, a simple 2 second procedure. Instead I had to join a queue for an unattended body scanner that took ages to get through when someone finally showed up. Eventually they concluded.... My neck chain had caused the beep.

I also forgot to take it off in Birmingham once, took it off and went through again no problem.

I now always pay the £4 for security fast track (when it's available). BFS is the only airport that I feel the need to do this.
I've had a supplier miss a flight due security queues. I now tell suppliers and customers to pay for security fast track to ensure they make their flights.

I have gotten through security in bigger airports in the likes of Rome Fiumicino, Dublin, Heathrow, Stansted and even LAX and Dulles with very little hassle. Belfast is the only airport I have ever felt the need for fast track.

I usually do get there a good 3 hours early and get a seat at the window and watch the goings-on. I'm dreading my flights out of Belfast on May Bank Holiday weekend.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:54:29 PM by jasT1981 »