Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big cases and/or bags.  (Read 502 times)

Offline Sneaky_Nikon

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Vice-Marshal
  • Local Airport: EGAE/AA
  • Favourite Aircraft: Cold War jets
Big cases and/or bags.
« on: May 08, 2019, 07:27:23 PM »
So now I have a D500 body and a big Tamron lens in addition to my other photo gubbins, my much loved (genuinely) Brian's Hot Tub will no longer be able to carry "all the kit" so I'm in the market for a new wonder carrying system.

What's the latest miracle?   A decade ago it was the 'Hot Tub which despite it's silly name was, indeed still is, a great bag (and if you only have one body or whatever it'll do as a weekend bag too.

I'm thinking maybe something like a Peli, but am open to suggestions, bonus points if it's officially airline carry on size, although that might require TARDIS type technology at this point. I also lean towards bags that don't look like they contain weapons grade plutonium (or cameras).

I prefer to ask here than on photography forums because you tend to give more balanced opinions. 
Architect, Architect. VENGEANCE one one on fours.....

Offline breney

• Global Moderator
  • Group Captain
  • Local Airport: Belfast International
  • Favourite Aircraft: Impartial to an Airbus
Re: Big cases and/or bags.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »
It's very hard to beat Tamrac. Their Expedition has Tardis levels of storage. They've a new range which doesn't look camera bag type at all, which I assume will have the same wonder properties.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:38:19 PM »
I have a hard case for flights as carry on, and I use a soft bag for general use.That probably doesn`t help you.lol

Offline smudge

• G8 Contact Group
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Human Name: Andrew
  • Local Airport: EGAD PP:QK 360R:GOTNA
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
I don't have a 150-600 but I asked around and was pointed at the Lowepro Flipside 200 which can carry the lens and a mounted body:

Despite its name it actually has the access flap on the rear panel, against your back, as a theft prevention measure.

To take it out you swing the bag around to your front on the waist strap, pivot it down in front by 90 degrees so that it sits like a shelf and then open the panel.

Interior Dimensions    20.5 x 12.6 x 38 cm
Exterior Dimensions    24.5 x 20 x 43.5 cm

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:32:43 PM by smudge »