Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changing Gallery  (Read 1811 times)

Offline casper

• Administrator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
    • Northern Ireland Aviation
  • Local Airport: Aldergrove EGAA
  • Favourite Aircraft: F-14 Tomcat
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS7D
  • Airliners.net Photos: 8
  • Jetphotos.net Photos: 54
  • A-P.net Photos: 510
Changing Gallery
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
I'm in the process of changing the current gallery software to a different one. I'm not taking this on lightly as I have grown fond of the current system and how it integrates with the rest of the site. However the developer has just announced that he will no longer be supporting it so I don't want the gallery to get any bigger and be based on an obsolete system.

Unfortunately this is going to be a massive job as there are 1500 files to move over and all details and ownerships have to be updated. The new system does not allow the admin to assign ownership to an image so I am having to created users accounts based on accounts in the current system and upload the corresponding files. I'm trying to get all the user galleries migrated first and then I'll do the public galleries. Once all files have been uploaded I'm PM everyone with their new account details - Unfortunately this will be a separate system from the forum and will require a new account but anyone who has added to the current gallery will have the same user details as the forum.

However with the change some things will be lost - comments and hits count :(

This is a bit long winded and I hope it makes sense :) It will probably   take a few days to get all the files transfered across, at which time   you can use start using it but it may take me a few weeks to get all the   file information up to date (reg no. type, model etc)

In the meantime if you want to see the new gallery just go to
www.niaviation.co.uk/gallery/index.php

and sorry for any inconvience this may cause.

Offline casper

• Administrator
Re: Changing Gallery
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
I have nearly all the images transferred over to the new gallery - seemed to have missed 3 :) By now anyone who had uploaded to the old gallery will have received there username and password for the new one. If you're new to the gallery you can register for an account and begin to upload.

You will notice that alot of information is missing from the images, reg no. operator etc. I hope to address this over the next few weeks.

If you have any problems or any suggestions let me know.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
Thank you for all your hard work Casper-must say I`m impressed you got it sorted so quickly.

One thing I have noticed is the addition of a fairly hefty watermark,which I know is necessary,but it does obscure the photos.

Could it be made a little more subtile perhaps?

Hope I haven`t opened a can of worms :-[
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:06:39 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »
Thanks Angry. All the images are transfered but it's going to take weeks to get the info on each image up to date :(

I can mess around with the watermark as the original file isn't destroyed but kept and the watermark can be re-applied.

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:22 PM »
I've moved the watermark to the top of the image and lightened it slightly. Check out the 'Casement Aerodrome' section. Let me know what you think.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Camera Used: Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG HSM OS and Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-300mm f/4-5.6
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:48:01 PM »
I had a look as you suggested;it`s better but then I`m not really a great fan of watermarks.

Is part of the new software that watermarks have to be added,or is it something you had been considering doing anyway?
I would prefer not to have them,but I suppose we have to protect our copyright somehow.

Offline casper

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »
Is part of the new software that watermarks have to be added,or is it   something you had been considering doing anyway?
No they don't have to be added but are an option which I think is needed. But having said that this is only my opinion. As you know I've been stung once with image theft and there are many images uploaded I just wanted to protect them. If anyone else has an opinion on the watermarks I'd love to hear them.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »
I`m more than happy to go with the flow :) .

I suppose it`s a good idea to protect the images;I also have been stung as you put it,in the past from image theft.