News:

Apologies for the down time over the past couple of days. I've got to the bottom of the issue so hopefully everything should be back to normal.

Main Menu

Portrush Airshow - Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th September 2024

Started by TCX49, Oct 14, 2023, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

JasonT1981

Quote from: Jimi182 on Oct 16, 2023, 01:31 PMAlso, is there any hope of a Newcastle air show next year?  I prefer the sitting (Mournes in background for some shots etc).

Council are "keen" to reinstate it but the price is a lot. There are still a lot pushing for it from multiple parties. Realistically, I don't see it in 2024.

"Eats n Beats" which replaced it was alright, but this year it was confined to Donard Park and limited numbers allowed in. Last year there were many complaints that because it was a food and music festival most of the local businesses were empty as Newcastle is mostly food and pubs with live music.

Eats n Beats may have filled Donard Park, but the airshow filled the entire town.

To put into context. Both last year for Undertones, and this year for The Answer, both of whom where the headline act, I was able to walk to the very front and stand at the railing front row with 10 minutes to go before starting.

This was Donard Park this year as headline act were coming on, and Donard Park right after they went off stage.

JasonT1981

Red Arrows tour seemingly confirmed by Guernsey Air Display

QuoteGuernsey Air Display

The Red Arrows are touring next year from mid-July to September an unavailable for our usual date so the decision has been been made to bring the date forward so they can still be part of the display. We've put our application in to the RAF Events Team for 13th June and we should have confirmation in the spring.

Jimi182

Quote from: JasonT1981 on Oct 17, 2023, 03:56 PMRed Arrows tour seemingly confirmed by Guernsey Air Display

QuoteGuernsey Air Display

The Red Arrows are touring next year from mid-July to September an unavailable for our usual date so the decision has been been made to bring the date forward so they can still be part of the display. We've put our application in to the RAF Events Team for 13th June and we should have confirmation in the spring.

Yes, Guernsey have brought forward their airshow to June. instead of mid-September, to accommodate the Reds', before they go on tour in July.

JasonT1981

Spoke to a person today involved in the show. The show will go forward as planned in the usual dates of Early September and there are no plans to bring it forward to get the Red Arrows.

For Joe Public it will no doubt be a mood killer, but for me its refreshing as it means they are going to have to up their game to find something to draw the public (Hopefully not just the Typhoon) I always tell people there are far more to shows, and more exciting displays than just the Red Arrows.

sneaky_nikon

Quote from: JasonT1981 on Oct 24, 2023, 06:19 PMit means they are going to have to up their game to find something to draw the public

I admire your optimism.

JasonT1981

Scottish International Airshow at Ayr has announced it will be Friday 6th and Saturday 7th September. I assume Portrush will now be that weekend too on the Saturday and Sunday

https://destinationsouthayrshire.co.uk/ayrshow/

JasonT1981

QuoteSeptember 2024 is set to soar as Northern Ireland gears up for its much-anticipated International Air Show. Subject to council approval, the event is proposed for the 7th and 8th of September, promising a weekend of aerial spectacle and excitement.

https://www.explorecausewaycoastandglens.com/blog/proposed-dates-for-2024-northern-ireland-international-air-show

JasonT1981

Changes to the display location. Will be between West Bay and Ballyreagh Golf Course as feedback on the coastal display line was not favourable for the cancelled 2022 show.

Quote4.1 Proposed Spatial Adjustments to the Event Area for the International Air Show
At the September 2021 Leisure and Development Committee meeting, approval was given to
relocate the planned air show to the coastal lands between Portrush and Portstewart
(spanning Westwards from Ballyreagh Golf Course to the Rinagree Coastal Park and
Northwest 200 Paddock area). Analysis by the Tourism and Recreation team and consultation
with stakeholders found that the proposed layout for the 2022 was spatially disconnected.

The area between the western end of Ballyreagh Golf Course (main viewing area) and the Paddock
area does not allow for a seamless event space, with approx. a 1300 metre separation.
Officers are recommending adjustment to this space, whereby the event area starts at
Westbay Promenade (Portrush) and finishes at Ballyreagh Golf Course. By adjusting the
event space westwards, better connectivity can be achieved, with a shorter distance of
disconnect between the Blackhill end of Westbay and the 'pitch and put' area at Ballyreagh.
This proposed new event space reduces the amount of 'broken' areas where air show
activities cannot take place. Further details can be found in Annex B.

Full details here https://www.causewaycoastandglens.gov.uk/uploads/general/231219_LD_Item_4_-_Tourism_Event_Programme_merged.pdf

keegster

How about this for a radical proposal; move the show to Portstewart Strand.

Pros:
- Long flat display line.
- Plenty of room for parking

Cons:
- Single point of entry/exit for vehicles
- No solid ground for stalls/exhibits

JasonT1981

Looking at budget breakdown. Of a £581,585 budget only £150k is allocated to flying display.

For a 2 day display that is a very stretched budget indeed. On comparison Ground budget & infastructure is £303k.

Yikes! Same line up from 2022 minus the Reds it is then!

angry turnip

New viewing area for anyone interested.

Tango Tango Fanta

Quote from: keegster on Dec 13, 2023, 09:01 PMHow about this for a radical proposal; move the show to Portstewart Strand.

Pros:
- Long flat display line.
- Plenty of room for parking

Cons:
- Single point of entry/exit for vehicles
- No solid ground for stalls/exhibits
It's managed by National Trust. Not a Council beach

JasonT1981

Quote from: angry turnip on Dec 14, 2023, 12:25 AMNew viewing area for anyone interested.

Going via alot of feedback on Northern Ireland and Ireland Airshows, the new display line isn't going down to well with most. Most didn't seem to like the 2022 layout either and think it should move back to the East Strand

angry turnip

I had a look at that Facebook page--it was interesting to see a few people said the new viewing areas worked well for the 2022 Airshow. I don`t know how they reached that conclusion, as it was cancelled.

Also nobody mentioned ( as far as I could tell) that the show had to move from East Strand because of the new stricter CAA regulations.
Seemingly the aircraft would be too close to the crowd, and there is an issue at the beach end of the display line, which meant aircraft may be overflying the town.

JasonT1981

Facebook sent me a notification tonight that the post had reached nearly 80,000 people. Then asked me if I wanted to pay £42 to boost it so another 1600 people could see lol.

I'm going to have to go back and look at what made them change the display line from the East Strand, I do remember they did explain it but I've actually forgotten the reasons as it was that long ago it was announced  :o