Portrush Airshow - Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th September 2024

Started by TCX49, Oct 14, 2023, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCX49

Dates for Portrush Airshow:
Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th September 2024

2024 Line Up:
- RAF Eurofighter Typhoon

- BBMF (Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane)

NOTE:
***NO Red Arrows at Portrush for 2024 due to being in Canada***

JasonT1981

Yes, already well into planning. Date should be known in the new year.

There were objections as always, one of which was very surprising but it will be going ahead based on council meetings at the start of the summer.

TCX49

Chris

Apparently the rain clouds/low cloud base has already been ordered  ;)

rookie

Quote from: Chris on Oct 15, 2023, 09:45 AMApparently the rain clouds/low cloud base has already been ordered  ;)

And I hope I'm wrong the same  usual aircraft.
 Please don't hammer me for my quote as I appreciate and understand the costs and work needed to attract and pay for the displays is a nightmare  but in reality I think the displays  like Portrush did have and the likes of ards ate gone with the amount of red tape and costs now involved.

JasonT1981

Interesting to note, if it stays in the September slot, there might be no Red Arrows due to international commitments. This was on their application page, though now removed it is thought they are heading over-seas

Quote"The RAF will not routinely conduct flypasts at corporate events or at private events such as weddings, birthdays or funerals etc. Applications should be received by 30th November 2023. The Red Arrows are only available for flypasts in June and July 2024 due to overseas commitments after this time."

This is flight still has record of it.

http://thisisflight.net/2023/09/11/raf-red-arrows-website-hints-at-major-overseas-tour-in-2024

rookie

Probably another America tour or asia direction

JasonT1981

Quote from: rookie on Oct 15, 2023, 05:01 PMProbably another America tour or asia direction

My thought would be Canada/America since it is the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Air Force.

It's disappeared now, but obviously since it was posted on their official website before being removed, something is in the works for a tour.

angry turnip

For Portrush 2024, I reckon Sat7th / Sun8th September would be likely. There was some talk of a one day show.

A tad more Red Arrows news-
The Reds have a new team leader, and 3 new pilots joining the team which will be back to a 9-ship for 2024.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/display-teams/red-arrows/news/new-red-1-prepares-diamond-nine-for-60th-season/?fbclid=IwAR3TrMJ5koKU2muKTsphH0kAGCfcMAhcenax_yc6DhEq5SwvkahExrWOjKU

JasonT1981

Good to see them going back to 9. The 7 ship was absolutely terrible and disjointed, the 8 ship this year was a good bit better but still felt lacking.

Honestly, I think shows like Portrush need to make a bit of a shake-up of their show. Red Arrows & Typhoon booked? That's all we really need mentality is wearing thin. Portrush used to go for International displays but since 2016 has played it very safe and anything after the RAF displays were an after-thought.

Jimi182

Let's face it, it's overseen by the Council and they see it as a family day out. It's not a show for enthusiasts. I will still go, but don't get your hopes up.

The 2022 show was being billed as something brilliant. I didn't see anything in the line up that was different from any other year.

JasonT1981

I'm kinda hoping it's the 31st Aug/1st September. If it is the weekend after, it clashes with Comic-con lol.

I love getting to airshows, but with a weak line up similar to 2022 and the choice of that or a day out with friends that I have been enjoying for years, I'm choosing the latter.

It would have to have something very special to choose Portrush that weekend.

angry turnip

IMHO Portrush Airshow is well past it`s use by date. If the council don`t have the budget to put something decent together, then there is no point having a show, especially if the Reds aren`t available. I didn`t go to the last two shows, and by all accounts I didn`t miss much.

Jimi182

It's been said before hasn't it, for the council/organisers to reach out to the local aviation community (not Airside NI though!) to get a realistic wish list - then even if they get 25% of that, you will still have a decent show for enthusiasts and general public.

Jimi182

Also, is there any hope of a Newcastle air show next year?  I prefer the sitting (Mournes in background for some shots etc).