Author Topic: Portrush Airshow return in 2022  (Read 3629 times)

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
  • Favourite Aircraft: Avro Lancaster
  • Camera Used: Canon EOS 700D & EOS 2000D
Portrush Airshow return in 2022
« on: January 06, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
Some of you already knew, but I kept it off the boards as it was not official. But last night Causeway coast and Glenns council voted to reinstate the Portrush Airshow from 2022 and run in every 2 years. It will now be known as the ' International Causeway Airshow'

https://news.causewaycoastcommunity.co.uk/local-news/green-light-for-international-causeway-airshow/

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
Re: Portrush Airshow return in 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 02:13:12 PM »
Dates are looking to be September 10th & 11th

Show is looking to move from East Strand to between Portrush and Portstewart due to new CAA regulations forcing jets further out on the East stand.

Applications have been made for

Red Arrows, BBMF & Typhoon
Ultimate fighters
Swedish Air Force Historic Flight - Viggen, Draken and Lansen.
Swiss PC7
Foreign & UK based civilian jet teams.

https://news.causewaycoastcommunity.co.uk/dates-proposed-for-new-causeway-international-airshow/?fbclid=IwAR1vMm--JvdD6-fDVXpmCW1G8fdxms2RvK3ye_tJNpV0XsJv-OiXmt-z3tg
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:15:35 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Andy H

• Military Movements Group
  • Squadron Leader
  • Local Airport: City of Derry
  • Favourite Aircraft: F16
  • Camera Used: Sony A290
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 03:47:44 PM »
Shame they can't get the f35.

By the sounds of it, they will be using the pits at the nw200.

I was hoping with the gap that they would bring something different, guess it's much of the same in previous years.

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »
F35 would be good, however there is no F35 option on the 2022 display application form.

Reds, Typhoon, BBMF, Tutor & Falcons are the only ones on the application for displays. Chinook is on the JHC application and not the RAF one.

I do think there would be quite a bit of different displays there if they get those listed. Viggen hasn't been seen since 2015. Drakken & Lansen haven't been. Ultimate Fighters would be a cracking addition with 4 warbirds & the PC7 team haven't been before I don't think.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:55:37 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
  • Marshal of the Air Force
  • Local Airport: BFS
  • Favourite Aircraft: Hawker Hunter/Harrier
  • A-P.net Photos: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »
I always thought that display line would have been the best overall, but I can imagine the cries of " Get Off Those Rocks " .  :(

Not sure how much actual space there would be in that area due to the road, but it could work I suppose. Last time I saw a Draken was at Ards, many moons ago.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:46:07 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline rookie

• Group Captain
  • Local Airport: Belfast City
  • Favourite Aircraft: Anything military
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 07:21:11 PM »
I'd say they could possibly close the coast road and have have barriers to keep people back away from the grassed area possibly.  In regards to aircraft line up its the usual RAF aircraft bar the retired ones , the BBMF might show but I doubt we'll get the Lancaster it'll prob be the spit hurricane and dakota which is good but I always love the lancaster. JHC aircraft would be nice to see with the chinook , black cats and the merlin (another favourite of mine)

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 04:33:10 AM »
Passed at their leisure and tourism council meeting, now will go to full council for approval next month.

Heafty proposed budget.

New Flightline approved, Moving to the A2 Coast road between Portrush and Portstewart.

Looks to celebrate the Queens platinum jubilee.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:34:59 AM by jasT1981 »

Offline Causeway74

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Commodore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 09:12:31 AM »
I see the usual suspects are giving out about this being a "military fest" and "very uncomfortable" for certain parts of the community. Really get sick of this nonsense after a while. The same people that preach openness and inclusion the rest of the week.

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »
Well said, I was just reading about this myself, and sadly the gurning and hypocrisy match continues.  ::)

No-one is forcing people to go to the airshow, so if you think it is offensive to you, then simply do not attend, and leave those who do like airshow`s that feature military aircraft to enjoy their hobby.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 06:18:15 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
They are hiding it behind 'concerns over costs'

Hard truth for them is, the 'military fest' is what general airshow attendees go for. People want to see the Red Arrows and the Typhoon as to them, they are the 'heavy metal' to them. They want fast and loud jets

Portrush in the last few years became all about the props and family friendly aerobatics in Pitts Specials and Vans RV7s. Absolutely nothing wrong with those displays but the fact is, they don't bring the crowds in, as evident in the dwindling numbers to Portrush between 2016-2019.

The 'certain parts of the community' thing is just BS (sorry) In my experience running the AirshowsNI page, and the Newcastle FoF page over the last 6 years, there is no community divide over it and very few feel uncomfortable. In fact, I've only had ONE complaint about this in 6 years. The main complaints I actually get are more to do with animal welfare during the shows due to noise.

The vast majority support it and MANY from what they describe as 'certain parts of the community' actually love the show. 

Sad truth is, this political party who will remain nameless, just don't want anything that doesn't align to their side or viewpoint.

Sorry, rant over. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:07:13 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline jasT1981

• G8 Contact Group
  • Air Chief Marshal
    • Airshows NI
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 08:08:57 PM »
Apologies if this is not appropriate for this thread. However, the 'Military fest' thing has been bugging me.

As you know I run AirshowsNI and have been collecting listings from airshows throughout NI to compile a historical achieve..

I have gone back from the last Portrush Airshow in 2019 to 2011 and have counted the at the time current military and civilian displays to some interesting results. At only 15.2% of total flying displays being military that is FAR from a 'Military fest' any former military aircraft in civilian hands and not in active serice is counted as civilian

Of course, happy to be corrected but according to the listings I have via programmes, attending and threads on here as well as press releases over the years, In total it breaks down as

Active Military aircraft display percentage 15.2%
Civilian owned aircraft display percentage 84.8%

Portrush 2019
Total aircraft flying displays 14
Military 2 (RAF Tucano, Irish Air Corps Casa)
Civilian 12

Portrush 2018
Total Aircraft flying displays 11
Military 3
Civilian  8
Portrush 2017
Total Aircraft flying displays 14
Military  4
Civilian  10

Portrush 2016
Total Aircraft flying displays 13
Military 3
Civilian  10

Portrush 2015
Total Aircraft flying displays 16
Military  6
Civilian  10

Portrush 2014
Total Aircraft flying displays 16
Military 6*
Civilian  11*

* Note - BBMF Lancaster flew with a civilian owned Lancaster  hence the number discrepancy.

Portrush 2013
Total Aircraft flying displays 28
Military 3
Civilian  25

Portrush Airshow 2012
Total Aircraft flying displays 26
Military 4
Civilian  22

Portrush Airshow 2011
Total Aircraft flying displays 21
Military 6
Civilian  15

Total over last 10 years (2011-present day)

Total Aircraft flying displays 243
Military 37
Civilian  206
Active Military aircraft display percentage 15.2%
Civilian owned aircraft display percentage 84.8%

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:15:19 PM by jasT1981 »

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 08:35:00 PM »
Do not let this get to you, sadly there has always been a small amount of people who object to military aircraft at airshows, and no matter what the actual facts are, they won`t listen.
The airshow at Salthill Galway got some negative press in this regard, at times.

Further more the IAC have supported the show at Portrush for many years, something that seems to have gone unnoticed by the councillor who complained under the pretence of being concerned about the cost.
He then went on to reveal his true reasons and it was notable that this person had failed to notice the economic benefit to the area, generated directly from the airshow.
I doubt very much this councillor has ever been to the airshow, and they obviously have not bothered to check what previous airshows at Portrush cost.
The councillor`s objections are obviously sectarian, and they are too spineless to admit it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:43:45 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline rookie

• Group Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 08:39:59 PM »
I saw an article earlier in regards to the Queens jubilee airshow it involves the SDLP and DUP at each other over it from what I can gather

Offline Angry Turnip

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »
I think all of us on here know what is behind the objections.

As this is a politically neutral forum, please make sure to keep all posts respectful. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:42:16 PM by Angry Turnip »

Offline rookie

• Group Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »
To be honest I'm looking forward to refreshed display at Portrush. As already covered I'm in the category of looking forward to see the fast jets and military helos the crowd pleasers if you want to call them that. I have to be honest that as I said previously I stopped going to Portrush airshow as he found it was rather repetitive with mostly same aircraft appearing (although I do appreciate the planning involved and costs to put an airshow on) so it was around the same time me and my wife started to go to RAF Luechars for there's (if people want to call an airshow a military fest then this would be one) we used to arrive in Portrush on a Fri after work and stay right through to Sunday and I know a few others done the same and made a weekend of it helping pour some wanted money back into the local community with the use of the B&Bs bars and restaurants. They local leaders all need to wise up and understand the possible crowds at these things help bring the needed money for the local economy. I was staying in Portrush this year (and last) but we didn't stay in the town we spent one of the days in the jet centre as it was felt there was more to do for the kids. I felt the town was really quiet to and the same as last year anyone who was down seemed to be out surfing etc and avoided the town. So I'd like to see the Portrush airshow to return even if it is only every 2 years.