£100m investment for Belfast International

Started by JasonT1981, Oct 18, 2023, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonT1981

Looks like Belfast International is getting a new £100m investment on top of the work already being done. Hopefully bringing BFS into the current century.

Investment includes

New Security Building
Revamp of existing facilities
Additional gates
More seating
New catering and retail stores

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-international-airport-100-million-27924309?fbclid=IwAR2xCkPrUFtDGn5oqMILtgQYltWdRJsvcyQIRzE8h8Yv2WxPp1qwa0L1cZc

angry turnip

I note the article claims the new security building will be ready for summer 2024-- Is it April fools day already?
Over the past 25 years or more, there has been much talk about BFS getting a major facelift-re-vamp, re-build or what ever you want to call it, with very little to show for it.

The long walk of shame from international gates to passport control is still very much in use, it gives a very poor first impression of the airport, the badly designed baggage reclaim area, thread bare carpet as you leave doesn`t help, no matter how many Game Of Thrones posters they try to distract you with, and still no rail link to Belfast.

I am not a fan of big airports, I just want to get in and away as stress free as possible, don`t care about wi-fi or glitzy shops. BFS is ok just about, but it is very tired looking.

JasonT1981

I departed and arrived at BFS a couple of weeks ago when heading to Duxford and back, While work on some parts have started, the security area has been untouched. The new security machines have to be in place by 2024, but I doubt a full new security building will be anywhere near ready.

With that work going on, the long walk seems longer as you have to go down another walkway, not sure if it is the old one which had the moving escalator many years back. The arrivals and baggage area is depressing.

I much prefer BHD for travel but with Aer Lingus pulling out of there I find myself having to go to the International more.

At least when new security machines are in place, we won't have to remove liquids and have them capped at 100ml. That causes more delays at security than anything with people piddling about with them.

Jimi182

I think it'd take more than 100million to sort that place out.

JasonT1981

Quote from: Jimi182 on Oct 19, 2023, 09:24 AMI think it'd take more than 100million to sort that place out.

Honestly, I think they'd be better just knocking the place down and starting over.

It's a pity BHD isn't able to extend their runway, it would be great for one Belfast airport in the BHD location. But that would take massive investment too.

Jimi182

Quote from: JasonT1981 on Oct 19, 2023, 03:22 PM
Quote from: Jimi182 on Oct 19, 2023, 09:24 AMI think it'd take more than 100million to sort that place out.

Honestly, I think they'd be better just knocking the place down and starting over.

It's a pity BHD isn't able to extend their runway, it would be great for one Belfast airport in the BHD location. But that would take massive investment too.

Can you imagine the complaints from the locals if they proposed extending it lol and even if they did, the complaints then would be outrageous lol